Click here if you are having website access problems ×

door mirrors

Stephen Long

You can also get (from Caterham) IVA mounts, which replace one of the three screen bolts each side, because (if I understand correctly) the mirrors have to be mounted on the frame, not the doors, to pass the IVA. You then reuse the same mirror.

Kit builders occasionally sell them on having chosen to move the mirrors from these relatively solid mounts on to the relatively wobbly door mounts... A post on Wanted might yield results as I suspect there may be a number lying unwanted in boxes in garages around the place.

ScreenShot2015-04-15at18_10_53.png.62b204d41f7cd24caa9636dcbd9d7e2a.png

Picture's a bit grainy but you see the idea.

They will stop the doors opening beyond 90 degrees but we've never found that to be a problem, at all.

Correct with mirrors on the screen frame you cannot open the door fully. I had a set of Racetech mirrors and mounts that go in place of one of the bolts and got fed up with them as I kept accidentally moving them when i opened the door. I still have that if you want to experiment.

i then changed to Racetech mirrors on the door and have just replaced them with slightly larger GT mirrors. They seem to hold position better and vibrate a lot less than the standard mirrors.

I can show you all options at Penn at the end of the month if you want.

cheers

alan

It has occurred to me looking at them that with them in place it will not be possible to open the doors fully is this correct ?

Correct, but you get accustomed to it. Our tintop doors don't open to 180+ degrees either... *wink* 

And yes, your passenger will keep knocking the left mirror out of position, but on the plus side you no longer fold the doors around on to the bonnet, so you no longer knock both mirrors out of position by doing that, and your mirrors no longer scuff your scuttle paintwork or bend your driver's side wiper arm.

Pros and cons...

I have the Race Tech mounted on the middle screw on the stantion ...... really good, stable with really good rear visibility and would recommend.

As SM25T and others have stated you soon get used to having to be careful when getting in or out

• 3 weeks later...

To go with my rather retro new 160, I'm on the hunt for some stainless/chrome mirrors. I think I'm going to go for mounts on the window stanchions.

I'm thinking stainless bullet-style mirrors, but these are usually configured to be mounted 'flat' on the car body, rather than at 90deg to the mirror (if you see what I mean). 

Any examples/photos/suggestions very welcome.

I'm also going to replace the windscreen mirror with something chrome too, I think. I'm a bit worried that I'm turning into a polisher...

Ned