Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best microphone and location for use with GoPro

Titanium7

I've yet to record a decent sound track when using an external (or the internal) mic with the GoPro. Always seem to get wind noise or a muffled recording. Currently ordered a mic extension lead and going to try and put it in the engine bay. The current mic is a small non powered stereo lavalier type.

Any suggestions?

Aerobod: where did you get that rear view mirror please?

and to stay on topic I only ever solved this noise problem with one of these:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h4n

http://www.zoom.co.jp/img/item_gallery/item_gallery_23_3899.jpg

Hooked to an external very high volume range mic.

The problem in my K R500 was that the absolute noise simply overloaded the ability of any standard/normal mic's ability to process noise.

The one I used was a Sennheiser used for drum kits iirc.

Word of caution from someone who messed up his month old GoPro.  I used a lapel mike which had a long enough lead to clip under the dash and then needed an adapter to plug into the GoPro camera - thing was that the opening in the transparent camera case wasn't quite large enough for the official GoPro adapter plug - the plug casing fouled on the camera casing just enough to throw off the angle - and in my very light 'ham-fisted' way I managed to break the socket on the camera - I think the solder joints holding the socket in place became semi-detached from the circuit board because of the angle I was using.  It rendered the camera useless because I couldn't charge the battery in camera thereafter, or connect the camera to other devices.  GoPro were brilliant and replaced the camera without too much fuss.  I then bought a spare camera case off eBay and enlarged the hole were the lead fits through it into the camera using a dremmel.  I didn't think I was being that heavy handed with it at the time - they are incredible bits of complex and compact kit and it seems from my experience can be delicate to 'mishandling'.

Bob

• 1 year later...

I have just got my hands on a Go Pro hero 4 Session (the black cube one) which doesn't have the ability to take an external mic. I was thinking about having a separate audio recording and then combining it to the video using the Go-Pro Studio editing software. 

There are loads of digital audio recording devices ranging from cheapo dictaphones, to high end stuff. I was thinking of something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0144JHW4E/ref=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=3HQMXH25JR3XY3ZQG34F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551807&pf_rd_i=desktop

and was wondering if anyone did the same.

Jon

I brought a Rode video mic and "deadcat" off Amazon, along with a 3 m extension cable.

I power the Go-pro from a usb lead and run the external mic up under the dash, seems to work well.

Deadcat doesnt help much with caterham wind noise if its in the airflow, i think you need a definite physical barrier and then the deadcat helps with the remainder.

David Mulhollands recommendation and it all works very well

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cheap eBay lapel Mic in the engine bay close to throttle bodies then another lapel mic under the windscreen wiper mount to pick up exhaust noise on passenger side. They are fed into a 2 into 1 3.5mm jack to get a stereo input into the go pro. 

Video below showing the results on track