Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you get the bush into the dedion for the A Frame?

Grubbster

Yesterday after much swearing I managed to get the old bush out (heating, hacksawing and bashing method) and today I'm trying to get the new one in.

It is certainly an interference fit (as measured with digital calipers) so I froze the bush and heated the dedion where it goes in but couldn't even get it to start. So I filed a chamfer on the end of the bush and put a little greas on it to help get it started and managed to get it to start going in but it won't go. I tried pulling it in with threaded bar and socket, no joy, big G-clamp, no joy. The only thing that started to work was whacking it with a club hammer - this made some very slow progress but has damaged the end of the bush (I'll get another new one) so what else should I try? I hear of people changing these with the dedion fitted to the car - how on earth???? Or could it be that CC supply different sized bushes and I've got the wrong one? It measures 27.16mm diameter and the hole to put it in is 26.9mm - 27.2mm (slight ovality).

Or how much is it for a new dedion - for the time I've wasted trying to do this that would have probably been better value!

Hi Steve. Speak to Phil at Arch about refurbing  the DD tube that you have. I had mine done a couple of months back and the quality of the finish is superb. They even suggested a way of getting it to them as I am a fair distance from Huntingdon. Very reasonable cost as well compared to the price of a new one. Send blat mail if you need more info.

Stuart

Thanks for the tips, a new toy would come in handy! Yesterday I considered getting a new dedion but luckily CC don't have any so I saved a few hundred quid. I really wish I hadn't bothered trying to replace the bush, I don't think there was anything wrong with it but I thought it was straightforward and only a couple of quid so I thought it was worth doing while the dedion was out *smash* why did I bother??? I'll see if I can find a local place with a decent press. I'm very short of time and need to get the car back together in a couple of weekends so most of what I'd wanted to do just won't get done. 

Grubbster,

Do you have access to a large vice? You need tension and shock, and it should go. Press it in a vice, tight as you can without using a lever on the vice handle, or you'll break the vice! Then with a large lump hammer or copper mallet, whack the vice jaw, and repeat tension as it starts to move. You also need someone else to hold the tube, as you don't want to drop it, once the bush starts to shift.

oz