Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling / fitting front exhaust mount (K-series)

Smithy77

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woop! Woop! So ... were you drilling too high in the end, as suggested by Charles?

When I tried finding holes with a magnet I was gobsmacked how easy it was, and that was just with a weak fridge magnet that was too wide for the job. I bet with one of those little 4mm neodymium magnets it was a doddle. As you say, I think this should be the recommended way to it.

Low Flying article???? *jester*

Yeh, I was the best part of 10mm too high, which tallays spot on with the measurements from you and Charles. There is still about 2mm of aluminium panel between the old hole and the correct hole, but there was just about enough bracket coverage to hide everything. In terms of distance from the rear mount I was spot on with my trusty vinyl tape *laugh*

The thread of the boss was totally gunked up though and it was a real struggle to wind the bolt in. I was winding it in, got stuck, unwound, cleaned the thread of the bolt, sharp blow into the boss, cleaned with an old toothbrush as deep as it would reach, and repeated - each time getting a little bit further in. I still didn't get the bolt fully home before downing tools for the night. Anything I can do to make it easier.... WD-40 maybe? Or perhaps a cotton bud soaked in carb cleaner might do the trick....

Cut 3 or 4 groves 90 degs to the bolt thread as deep as the thread pitch and use that as a make shift tap. the groves well give some where for the said gunk to fall in to. Use light oil or WD40 if you carnt get thead cutting compound.

The main thing is go slowly you dont want to shear a bolt of worse a tap.

Smiffy, well done. I'm glad that you didn't remove the inner panel. I did on mine (and the lowered floow also) only to find that the front mount boss on my car does NOT NOT NOT go all the way thru the chassis rail. It is blind from the other side.

I know that my boss is NOT 803mm from the rear one as I specifically requested Bruce, when he rebuilt the chassis, to put it in a different place. I have, of course, lost the paper/document where I wrote down the position. !!!!

I am off to grab a fridge magnet immediately after finishing off this message - guess why :-)

Dave

Well, that was an hour well spent - NOT (as my kids would say). 3 different magnets tried, including one of those telescopic jobbies, and still not a clue.

I know the boss is there - because I saw the chassis before it was clad.

Smiffy - I will take you up on your generous offer (and if that fails I will cut off the front mount bracket from the exhaust system *whistle* ).

Dave.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

If I have read the above correctly I should find the centre of the front boss 803mm from the centre of the rear and 17mm up from the underside. I have tried to confirm this with a variety of magnets including toys, fridge magnets and 1p sized neodymium. So far no confirmation as either all I get is a weak or strong pull according to the magnet strength. There is a horizontal lump of iron based metal at the expected height but nothing to indicate where horizontally a hole in it is. 803mm would mean a boss would line up somewhere between the silencer and cat. I may have to rely on an accurate measurement if I cannot get the magnet idea to work.

The chassis is a 2003 SV. Should 803mm x 17mm be correct or have I read it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

803mm x 17mm turned out to be very close. 15mm might be perfect but not by enough to matter.

The magnet method sort of worked but only to confirm that the measurements were correct. The magnetic pull or lack of around the hole was too small and imprecise to rely on on it's own.