Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does a decat need the lambda probe?

Redbullwings

I've just bought a decat pipe for my 1.8 Vvc k series and noticed it doesn't have anywhere for the lambda probe. It's supposed to be for an r500 k series but i couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't fit mine.

Do I need to fit it? What happens if I don't?

im planning some engine upgrades soon, roller barrels and cams from DVA if that influence things. But it's currently sorn till the weather turns.

thanks

What's the current exhaust system you have? And what do you have planned in terms of management when you upgrade? Aftermarket management doesn't necessarily need a lambda sensor. I run an Emerald with no lambda sensor. You could always have a lambda boss fitted if you wanted to keep it.

It will need to pass the mot as I use it for road and some track days.

As you know for MOT purposes you will need to refit the cat so no issues as you can also retain the lambda.

I assume that you are removing the cat to release performance and if that is the case you will probably want to have the car set up on a rolling road - Why wouldnt you!

If this is the case you will want the by-pass pipe fitted and the tuner will almost certainly want a Lambda fitted whilst they undertake the process. 

The new Emerald has 3 switchable maps so you can have a nice lean one for the MOT In which case I would suggest that you have the car set up with the by-pass pipe fitted and as such  you will need a boss fiting. They are cheap as chips This one on eBay is £6.39 including the blanking plug

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141161942186?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

All you need is then to take the pipe and boss to an engineers and ask them to weld it in place.

You can leave the lambda in place or remove it and fit the blanking plug - thats up to you.

Mine came with the Cheesman exhaust, with the bung in one of the primaries, but it proved difficult to access during mapping (hot!), so I had another welded into the collector specifically for mapping.  Easy cheesy, or similar.