Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tyres

gulf 1

I am new to Caterhams having purchased a Classic.However I need new tyres as the ones fitted are ten years old.(still loads of tread, the car has only done 5000 miles in 8 years.) I would be grateful if anyone could give me any reccomendations for tyres to fit 6J x 14 rims.The car is used for touring and fast road use.

Hi , I have Roadsport on those wheels and there isn't a great choice of tyres in 185 x 60 x 14. The best all round tyre in that size is Yoko a021r but they are about £100 now and soon won't be legal for road use.

i I found I was wearing out a set each year, so have been asking and looking around and have decided to fit Uniroyal Rain experts which are £35 from Camskill. I hear they are good, but haven't had a chance to drive my car on them yet.

Duncan

Hi Duncan.            After your suggestion to try Uniroyal Rain experts I have spoken to a few people who are also thinking of trying them, so I have bitten the bullet and bought a set.My thinking was they do not have a very good fuel efficiency value which I hope suggests they are reasonably sticky.I managed to get a set fully fitted and balanced for £47 per tyre.Will see how good they are when the weather gets a bit better.Thanks for your input Dave.

Let's both hope they are good then *smile*

A good friend of mine with another type of kit car drove all round Wales last summer in dreadful weather on Rain Experts while I was on 21s and most of the others were on R1Rs and he kept up all right.

Duncan