Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vectra immobiliser disconnection

zetec

Yes

i was imobilised on the side of the road in france. I got towed to a garage who let me work on the car. My electrical knowledge wAs miniscule (not much better now) but I manged ok. Find the Vecta unit unwrap its loom and follow the wires back. They will all be black at first but eventually you'll hit a join with a coloured wire in the cars loom. Search near that for the other cut end and rejoin. A lot of the black wires are blanks and are not connected to anything. There's no easy way to do it( by design of. Course) it just takes patience.

the French garagiste was well impressed when the car started but not as much as I was ....

good luck

Yes, I left the keyhole in place. The position and shape of the Vecta depends on age/installer. Mine was about that age and iirc was near the wiper motor area. It was round, about 30mm dia and 125mm long. Possibly wrapped in insulating tape along the top of the loom

If it's factory wired as mine is, you'll probably find that the fuel pump wires go a long way into the loom in the tunnel before you find the original coloured wires.  Unwrapping the sticky insulating tape can be pretty messy too.  At least one of the circuits, fuel pump I think, not only disconnected the device but also shorted out the connection.  If there was an attempt to 'hot-wire' the car, it would blow the fuses, so you may find two sets of black wires connected at that point.

You might want to check that your insurance doesn't require you to have an immobiliser, although I guess if the car's nicked and never found they won't know if it was there or not!

Paul