Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint protection

griffchris

Hi

I'm planning my R400 build which is due in the Spring, and have been advised to make sure I apply a paint protection film such as: 

http://www.paint-protection-film.co.uk/caterham_selection.html

I will be having unpainted front and rear carbon wings (bit tarty but hey-ho), does anyone have experience of using this stuff?:

-Is the film best applied before assembly, during or after?

-Is it fairly easy to apply well, or would you advise getting it applied professionally?

-Do unpainted caterham carbon wings need (or benefit from) film protection?

Thanks for any advice

Chris

Wings are reasonably easy to apply but the nose can be a challenge. A lot of club members use Premier Paint Guard kits or have the owner to fit them. Often done when the car is finished.

If the carbon had a gel coat shiny finish it will get damaged but if it's the pre preg carbon it's as hard as the proverbial. I have 14 year old pre preg wings and nose and with a bit of bees wax polish it looks as good as new.

Before or after build makes no difference. In fact I'd say after is marginally easier because then you don't need to figure out a way to hold the bits still while you cover them.

I used Premier paint guard. Good service and the pre-cut bits fitted well. Did the rear wings and various little bits along the side myself. Did just as good a job as anyone IMO. Just take your time, follow the instructions

and work methodically.

If you're getting the whole set of protection fitted and / or you're doing the nose cone then get it fitted professionally. Otherwise do it yourself I reckon.

Hi Chris,

Make sure that the film covers the whole of the leading face of the rear wings, including the outside corners and edges.

Mine stops just short of the radius edge and the gell coat here has had a battering. I'm sure I'll see you soon, so can show you exactly what I mean.

Are you coming to the meet next Tuesday?

Clive.

Definitely go for the paint protection film as early as you can.

I had the nose, rear wings, full height sides and the area where the harness buckles would potentially scratch the paint on the leading edge of the rear curved chassis part (not sure of it's exact name).

Make sure you get the paint protection film applied before the decals (if you're having the sides done and nose (if you're having a stripe)) as otherwise the protection film tends not to adhere well and has air bubbles around the edges of the decals.

Here's a link to the post on my blog:-
http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk/2014/03/build-day-twenty-five-decals-stone-chip.html

I subsequently had it redone after complaining about the paint hardness, but that's another story...

3 years (and about 9k ago), the advice from MADS was not to bother apart from the rear wings which you can easily do yourself before fitting the guards. IMO that was good advice. Most chips have been on the bonnet in areas not protected by film. Also, I think the odd chip looks less eye catching than the edges you can see with the film. Horses for courses I suppose but a full film job is not cheap.

Agreed with RedCat7 as it's all about your own budget / preferences, but...  You are spending alot on a car which I guess you will want to cherish.  Caterhams are very susceptible to stone chipping, and based on my experiences I would 100% recommend full side protection, nose, and rear wings (and as per Ivaan's suggestion ensure the leading face of the rear wings, including the outside corners and edges are covered too).

The side protection can be run the full height of the body panels and is barely visble, as can be seen on the fourth pic on this page of my blog:-
http://www.caterhamr500.co.uk/2014/08/domain-bonnet-decals.html

It won't be 'cheap' but you do get what you pay for...  it'll be worth it in the long run.

• Area Representative

It won't be 'cheap' but you do get what you pay for...  it'll be worth it in the long run 

Not sure I would agree.  The only bit of a seven that I would have done if you have unpainted carbon wings and nose is the sides and mine still look good after 15,000 miles so not even sure about that either.  Wings, nose, bonnet are pretty easy to remove and cheap to get resprayed as and when you want them tarted up. IMHO of course.

Getting rear wings and the nose cone repainted is very cheap.  Probably not much more than the cost of the protection film + fitting.  I can certainly see the argument for just getting a respray every few years rather than bothering with the protection film.