Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel sender ohm readings?

zetec

Set the meter to resistance and clip it across the sender. I'd disconnect any other leads. There is a table of values somewhere in the archive, but you should be able to find the range without that. Use the smallest range setting that works.

Someone recently suggested 2 L per step.

Jonathan

If it's any help I took my sender out of the car and took the following resistance values;

Full:16; 3/4:45, 1/2:60, 1/4;110, Empty:270.

Full and empty were easy to take as it is the limit of travel but intermidiate readings were more difficult as the float moves through an arc so I wouldn't take the values as gospel. Need to add that I appear to continue with duff readings at the fuel gauge and have given up any more investigations for Christmas.

Rick

If the tank is truely empty (ie you've not just run the car until it stops) then I'd suggest adding some fuel and running the car until it dies. 

The meter reading at that point will then be your "practical" empty reading, as there is a surprising quantity of fuel in the tank that isn't able to be picked up, and I'm not sure whether the lowest reading of the sender is in that "dead" fuel area, or not.

Don't forget to do it on level ground *wink*

If the tank is truely empty (ie you've not just run the car until it stops) then I'd suggest adding some fuel and running the car until it dies.  The meter reading at that point will then be your "practical" empty reading, as there is a surprising quantity of fuel in the tank that isn't able to be picked up, and I'm not sure whether the lowest reading of the sender is in that "dead" fuel area, or not.

Wise words.

Jonathan