Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Left hand alternator vx

k.russell

Apart from the space issue with the oil pump in there as well, you also have to consider how you're going to adjust the alternator belt tension.  Not only do you have to get at the locking nuts and bolts, you also need a bit of swinging space for the alternator body.  I anticipate a lot of bad language and skinned knuckles!

The exhaust side mount seems a no-brainer to me.  There's stacks of space and, if you're worried about heat, I bet you could knock up a very pretty heat shield Kev *bow*

Trying to work out the various relationships of engine mount, alternator brackets and steering column with the engine out of the car and no points of reference isn't possible, so for the time being I am going to fit the engine in without an alternator, that will allow us to see the practicalities involved in fitting the Denso on the left hand side.  I had been trying to keep the exhaust side clear so that the exhaust fabricator had the maximum available room for my new exhaust, if I have to move the alternator to the exhaust I will.

So my question is, has anyone any photos of a Denso alternator and associated brackets as fitted to the exhaust side of a VX?

Alan

Will do Guy, I want to try and sort it out before the car goes to the exhaust man in late January, so once the engine is in we'll be able to see whether its really possible under the throttle bodies, or what bracketry will need to be fabricated to mount it on the exhaust side.

Alan

Hi Alan

I've sent you a couple of pics of your old car showing the alternator now fitted (can't get to my car to photograph at the mo). I've also sent a drawing of the fitting strap needed. IMO theres plenty of room round the alternator for your exhaust man ....

alternatorstrap.jpg.eeabf9302eff71bccf7b74c1c0e14b1b.jpgalternatorinstall.jpg.fc84745a8b07c9a575af66e452d2e437.jpg

A couple of pics to help you Alan,

This is the Brise Denso alternator. It rests on the standard bolt through the cylindrical bracket in the (reinforced) engine mtg block. The strap was from SBD, Swindon made the bracket from the block to the strap and in addition two steel top hat sleeves for the alternator base and an additional sleeve for the cylindrical bracket itself to prevent movement. 

Paul

/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image_3.jpg/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image_2.jpg/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image_1.jpg/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image_0.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image.jpg

/sites/default/files/images/users/1211/image_5.jpg

The tensioner rod is a very simple thing with two rose joints - one left and one right hand threadened - secured with counter nuts.

The Denso alternator fix both - the original HPC and the SBD manifold.

Narrowest point is between the power connector for the batterie cable and the steering rod.

Let me know if you want any detailed pictures.