Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Power Upgrade

William Hindmarch

I would agree with Grubster. However its a reasonably straightforward job to make a cut out providing that you have an air nibbler. These are a couple of pictures of a former 1.4k that I converted to a Duratec but with the short bell housing which brings the engine further toward the centre of the car.

I managed to borrow an R500D bonnet which I used as a template. Using 2 layers of heavy wallpaper lining paper stuck together with wall paper paste which were taped to the bonnet whilst still damp and allowed to set I was then able to make a cutout in the paper that was a "good fit". The template was then transferred to the freshly painted bonnet and the hole cut with the air nibbler and finished off with edging strip.

I HAVE PICTURES BUT CAN SEE HOW TO UPLOAD THEM AT THE MOMENT *confused*

OBNS

Taken from the Forum Guide on Chitchat

To insert a picture that is on your own computer:
Position your cursor where you want to insert the image in your post, and click the Image button (resembles a couple of mountain peaks).
Click "Browse Server", and then "Upload" in the top left of the new window that appears. Selecting "Choose File" will open a file explorer window where you can choose the image file that you want to upload and click "open".
Click "upload" and after a few seconds your picture will be uploaded to the server, and appear highlighted in your own folder. Click "Insert File" at the top of the window and the image will appear in an Image Properties window where you can chage the size if required, or simply click "OK" to add it to your post. - See more at: http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/forum-user-guide#sthash.VmLpB6ER.dpuf

I guess it depends on what TBs you're fitting.  If you're going for CC's rollerbarrels, you'll need the cut-out on a Duratec S3 (the SV doesn't need it). And it's not just for airflow -- the air filter won't fit without the cut-out.  On a K, bear in mind that the motor is tilted to the exhaust side, which gives enough room on the opposite side for the RBs to fit snugly under the bonnet.

JV

I have a Duratec in an S3 with Jenvey TBs and no cut-out.  Initially it had the Pipercross foam filter on it but it now has an alternative arrangement (still with no cut-out) whereby the air enters behind the number plate on the nose cone, goes through an in-line filter and then on up to an airbox.

FWIW ...

Adam