Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery not charging (Warning : BEC Content)

Violet Elizabeth

So, after my battery problems at Brands last week, I have been doing some diagnostics.

GSXR1000 K2, with a new Regulator Rectifier and a new uprated Stator.

New Banner battery. 12.8V across the terminals.

15mA "leakage" current. Pulses up and down a bit as the immobiliser LED comes on.

R/R is coming up as 0V525 ish on a diode test across Red/Black and the 3 phases.

On a resistor test across the 3 phases of the alternator it doesn't read anything i.e the reading doesn't budge from when the probes are not connected. So am assuming this means they haven't shorted.

However, it simply doesn't charge. When started, the voltage drops to just above 12 but doesn't vary with rpm. Hence it slowly loses charge when running.

Where to go next ? AC output of the alternator ?

Edited by - Violet Elizabeth on 10 Sep 2014 13:47:24

• Area Representative

Quoting Violet Elizabeth: 

On a resistor test across the 3 phases of the alternator it doesn't read anything i.e the reading doesn't budge from when the probes are not connected. So am assuming this means they haven't shorted.

[pQuote]

When you measure resistance between any two phase windings (I 'm assuming you have just three phase connections, plus a couple for excitation?) you should see some resistance (I 'd guess at maybe 100 ohms, but that is only a guess).

If you are seeing infinite resistance, then that sounds like u/s windings or connections.

Yeah, I have been using the Electrex World fault finding guide posted a while back. The one above seems more comprehensive, although a little confusing.

To test the RR you connect the red lead up to the red wire from the RR but leave it connected to the bike. So am I having to jam the probe down the back of the connector ?

So I performed the diode test on the RR instead, which checks out. I shall try the above Voltage test too I guess.

It is the bit about the stator that I am not sure about. There are the 3 phase yellow wires. I get 1.5Ohms across all 3. But infinite between -ve and them. Not sure if that is right ?

Quoting Richard Price: 

When you measure resistance between any two phase windings (I 'm assuming you have just three phase connections, plus a couple for excitation?) you should see some resistance (I 'd guess at maybe 100 ohms, but that is only a guess).

If you are seeing infinite resistance, then that sounds like u/s windings or connections.

My mistake. I get 1.5ohms between them. But infinite to -ve.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, back from the garage after a bit of delay....

All 3 phases from the stator are producing 73V @ 5000rpm.

RR diode tests all check out.

Back to the fault finding guide....

"Let the engine idle, and connect the BLACK multimeter lead to the to the battery Positive (+)

terminal. Connect the RED output wire of the RR. Leave the RR connected to the bike. Check meter reading, with engine idling."

More than 0.2V >>>>>> Yes, it was 0.4 V.

Bad connection in the positive lead from RR to battery Positive (+).

Check this connection on both sides, as well as the wire. Many times connectors and fuse block are suspect. This is a high current draw connection, and it is critical this connection is tight and clean. Fix problem and return to Start.

So I guess we are now back in Caterham-Land not Suzuki land...

I am struggling a little with where the DC + goes from the RR. I can follow it back to bulkhead, it goes into the top of a black "thing" attached to the bulkhead, and from there the thick battery style red wire comes out, goes into the tunnel, one assumes the fuse box, and then back out to the +ve side of the battery.

I can check the resistance all the way to the "thing" (yes, yes, I know) and when the immobilizer is armed there is no connection, but it seems a bit odd then the immobilizer is off.

Where should I be looking next ?

• Area Representative

Nothing specific to add to your fault finding but worth getting the Haynes Motorcycle Electrical Techbook ISBN 1859604714 . £25 from Amazon. Lots of stuff on charging circuits.

Good luck.

Nick