Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump clearance on the 'Ring

Is it possible to go through both Carousel's on the 'Ring without taking out the sump.

I was there in July, but drove around the top each time as I was concerned I'd whack the sump on my R300 (13" wheels).

Edited by - cyclesi on 6 Sep 2014 10:03:06

I didn't manage to get on track when we passed through two years ago so have no practical knowledge.

All I'd say is that this is the first time in 15 years or so of blatchat that I can recall anyone asking the question - I'd be tempted to take that as a 'no problem' indicator...

You could always pussy-foot around the outside if you are really worried....

Quoting A10ROX: 
Clearance is no problem

Surface texture and 'stiff' suspension makes for uncomfortable ride

Try it to tick a box and carry on driving round the top ...

+1 after the first time and then picking up all your teeth out of the footwell , drive round the top.

Thanks guys.

When I was there in July I was still on the wet sump + Apollo tank, but have now had a Pace dry sump kit fitted so theoretically I should have more clearance but to be honest it looks very similar clearance wise.

So, that's sorted then: nest year I'll hit the Carousel's big time !

No bother for sump clearance or ride quality through either Karussel.

Why "drive round the outside" of these iconic and major unique features of the track?

Steer the car in properly on the right line, stay middle of the concrete banking. Build up speed progressively, feeding in power as you go. On the exit of the main one relax and let the car drive out the end rising up the bank as it blends out (normal exit method of long sweeper. Stay left as the next bend is to right (iirc, lol)

The kleine Karussel is no big deal. It just helps you through the apex. I reckon tbere are cambered bends on British public roads almost as inclined as the KK.

On the big one the top run round the out side. is totally flat, boring and close to hedge. I would describe it as a service road. Lack of camber makes it a pointless route (I've never taken it)

Just go on both the K's with what you're comfortable with and don't try to be Fangio/Stewart/Hunt/insert own hero's name. on your first go!

Enjoy ALL the track as it's intended and revell in the atmosphere of the place.

Peter

Sump clearance is not a problem (as said above) but I have managed to ground the front A frame boss when exiting over the lip where the concrete joins the tarmac. The result of too much bratwurst at lunchtime probably ...

IMO 6speed is right, you should drive the "proper" line to fully experience the circuit.

Have fun !

Edited by - ECR on 11 Sep 2014 12:37:02