Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Washing Nomex Suits

Farmer_Terry

I have read a previous thread on this subject, and a similar one on pistonheads, and it seems pretty clear that you can wash a nomex suit in a machine.

However, there is a definite need to use a detergent rather than anything else (powder?)

I am new to this washing business having been recently widowed, and I am not at all clear what is a washing detergent and what isn't. In particular I use Persil Small and Mighty non-bio liquid for most of the wash - will this do? If not could I have a couple of specific product recommendations from anyone please?

I realise that mumsnet might be a better place for a sensible answer to this question, but I have got the words race suit in it which I hope qualifies for posting here..... *smile*

Washing fabrics in general:

1 Most cleaning stuff is either a soap or a detergent. They're different.

2 Some detergents are "bio". Some aren't. "Bio" detergents can help in removing some dirt and need to be used below defined temperatures.

3 There are also softeners and bleaches. These can be separate or included in the primary product.

4 There's an international system of labelling that links clothes, cleaners and washing conditions.

5 Most people waste money by using too much cleaning product.

6 The most reliable source of information is Which?

For your suit:

1 Is there a label, as above? Or any instructions from the supplier?

2 Do you need to remove any specific stains? If so it's nearly always best to do that before washing.

3 If your suit is coloured and you don't want it to fade you might be better with the "Colour" version of that Persil.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 30 Aug 2014 15:02:01

Thanks Stu, the label confirms that it is “100% Aramid fibre”.

Thanks Jonathan too, but first up - I tried Which? (I'm a member) but I couldn't find what I was looking for - i.e. which products are detergent and which soap.

There are some cleaning symbols in the suit - a non-standard one which looks like "hand wash", the one for "no bleach", the one for iron (not going to happen *smile*), and a circle with a "P" in it - Dry clean, Any Solvent Except Trichloroethylene.

These would seem to contradict Stu, and other empirical evidence that it can be machine washed, but ignoring that, I need a detergent with no bleach. I'm still not sure which specific products meet that need, but the Persil website suggests that the Persil Small & Mighty range does, which ties up with what you say.

So – unless I’m completely wrong I will machine wash it at 40 degrees, with the Small and Mighty non-bio I already have. Sure, the suit’s blue, but I’ve not found that S&M n-b fades stuff that much, and it will only get washed once a year anyway as I only do about three track days a year.

Edited by - Farmer_Terry on 30 Aug 2014 16:48:17

If it's dirty then it's better to soak/ prewash than to use a different reagent or more intense washing conditions.

Quoting Farmer_Terry: 
... but I’ve not found that S&M n-b fades stuff that much...
I think you'll find that everything turns to various shades of grey...

:-)

Jonathan

Here is a (rough) image of the http://www.chisman.co.uk/TempFiles/20140830_163010.jpg on the suit.

I think you'll find that everything turns to various shades of grey...

That's the answer. Most of my clothes started lifein shades of grey. *smile*

Terry

Edited by - Farmer_Terry on 30 Aug 2014 18:18:17

I spoke to Stu about washing a nomex suit as he's clued up on these types of materials.

I've washed my suit on a coupe of occasions now, using the normal non-bio liquid on a low setting in the machine.

Still all held together ok. not had chance to test the fire retardant properties, and don't really want to, if I'm honest...

• Leadership Team

Yes, the Nomex will not lose it's FR properties due to machine washing, but take note that the care label is applicable to the garment, not to the fibre/fabric used, and therefore considers all aspects of fibre, construction, finish, etc.

There could be dyeing reasons (although Nomex is difficult to dye so it's unlikely you'll wash out the colour) or added finishes that enhance the handle of the fabric or, for example, the anti-soiling properties. These may be washed out if given a machine wash. Personally I would machine wash at a low temperature (30 deg) with a no-bio washing powder, but don't tumble dry, just hang it in the airing cupboard.

Stu.

Note ... my background is sewing threads and I have a BSc in Textiles, but in reality I know SFA *eek*

I've been involved with flame retardant textile fabrics for close to 20years and until last year I was the Global Business Director for the PROBAN brand.

There are two washing conditions you need to avoid with ALL washable flame retardant fabrics

Do NOT under any circumstance use a chlorine based bleach for stain removal, this will damage the chemical structure of the meta-aramid and will result in loss of flame retardant properties.

With regards to detergents, you need to avoid washing using "soap" based products because if you have hard water you will leave a calcium and magnesium stearate "film" on the surface of the fabric.

This stearate film is flammable and has to be removed by washing with a very dilute acidic solution.

You should use a synthetically built detergent like Ariel, DAZ and wash around 40c and don't tumble dry as this thermal shock can result in shrinkage.

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by - Token Jock on 2 Sep 2014 08:57:33

Hi John,

Do (not) under any circumstance use a chlorine based bleach / you need to avoid washing using "soap" based products

Thanks for that. I was aware of those two big don'ts, but the difficulty I have had is separating what is a detergent and what is a soap bassed product. The current plan is to use Persil Small and Mighty non-bio on the basis that I believe it to be a detergent. Do you know if that is the case?

Quoting Token Jock: 
I've been involved with flame retardant textile fabrics for close to 20years and until last year I was the Global Business Director for the PROBAN brand.

There are two washing conditions you need to avoid with ALL washable flame retardant fabrics

Do NOT under any circumstance use a chlorine based bleach for stain removal, this will damage the chemical structure of the meta-aramid and will result in loss of flame retardant properties.

With regards to detergents, you need to avoid washing using "soap" based products because if you have hard water you will leave a calcium and magnesium stearate "film" on the surface of the fabric.

This stearate film is flammable and has to be removed by washing with a very dilute acidic solution.

You should use a synthetically built detergent like Ariel, DAZ and wash around 40c and don't tumble dry as this thermal shock can result in shrinkage.

Hope this helps.

John

I have half a dozen or so. All of them are Washed after each use, warm wash with one of the race suit detergents, dear but a little goes a long way and i like the smell.

Tumble dried, my drier gets no where near as hot as my R300 did, and then folded and stuck back in the bag. Never had an issue with any of them. Have Sparco, Alp stars and OMP. The OMP's are by far the best quality.

Hope that helps.

Quoting sforshaw: 
John, just moving off track a little (or rather a lot!) .... are you familiar with BS 7177 (2008) at all?

Stu.

Hi Stu,

A little bit, most of the testing that was carried out in the UKAS lab we had for testing PROBAN fabrics was for industrial workwear EN 531 and latterly ISO 11611 and ISO 11612.

We also did BS 7175 cigarette, match and crid 5 or 7 for the fabrics used in mattress and pillow.

Some good info here on Satra's site.

http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=446

John

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
*arrowup*Are you saying that "Persil Small and Mighty non-bio" is unsuitable*?

Thanks

Jonathan

* Sorry!

Hi Jonathon,

I don't know for certain. It is unlikely that it will contain soap in large % because even though soap is a good cleaning agent, its effectiveness is reduced when used in hard water.

Detergent manufacturers won't disclose there formula however if you contact them asking if the detergent contains soap they should provide a yes or no answer.

Industrial laundry providers who are contract laundering flame retardant clothing ensure their water hardness is kept low and also use detergents that do not contain soap.