Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ally Jacks

Wrightpayne

Had the car up on stands to do the speedo drive oil seal and one of my cheepo trolley jacks started leaking oil badly. TBH I always struggle getting the jack underneath especially now its on 13" wheels.

Searched the archives and the machine mart low entry 'race' jack came up a few times but many suggestions of it being discontinued. Anyway, quick search of the MM site and it looks like its back again @ £108, described as 'NEW'....

here

Might splash out!

Ian

PS I wont ask if jacking on the cruciform is OK *eek*

Just be carefull with these look nice but actually rubbish jacks, the engineering inside is very basic and the seals blow without warning that is why repair kits are readily available.

They are ok for lifting a 7 but drop it onto chassis stands before working on it.

The real thing is available for another £100 and if you can afford it you won't regret it

What's the 'real' thing?

I'd only ever use the jack on its own if changing a wheel. Besides one of my cheapo jacks gradually sinks - I'd come in the garage in the morning and find it resting on the discs or sump *eek*

Write up for speedo seal change if anyone interested, as someone emailed me asking if difficult....

"It took longer to jack the car up front and back and get on axel stands than change the seal. Dead easy as long as you have some fine right angled circlip pliers - mine are cheap draper inner / outer ones ACP150B is the ref number. Steps, once its up in the air are:-

1 Remove circlip holding speedo cable 'top-hat' and move to one side

2 Jam small screwdriver into seal and lever out. Screwdriver slipped out a few times but it eventually popped out. You can only lever it on one side but I just went either side of the drive shaft - you'll understand when you get to this bit.

3 Apply small amount of oil to new seal to help slide it over speedo drive shaft, then use a socket and bit of wood against the chassis to press the new one in. I found a 1/2" drive 10mm socket was just right.

4 Refit top hat and circlip - I had to spin the prop to turn the drive in the gearbox so the angle drive would go back in.

That's about it. I always dread removing oil seals in situ but it was a doddle. I ordered a couple of seals and new circlips from caterham as the seals are prone to leaking and neither are that expensive. Also a spare if I cocked up the first attempt!! The seal is tiny, only about 1/2" diameter. "

Ian

I've had the Machine Mart Ali race jack thing for a number of years (after my Bulk Buy Norman jack started to lose pressure).

It has been absolutely fine - the only problem (which seems common to all of the Ali jacks I've tried) is that you need to tighten up some of the bolts now an again.

• 2 weeks later...
The MM one is a great lightweight jack - ideal for transporting to race meetings or track days. But it's not quick-lift (so you have to repeatedly pump it before it meets the load), and it doesn't lift particularly high. The Arcan looks like it might be a better garage jack - it's quick-lift and goes significantly higher (508mm vs 375mm). More money, though.

Quoting Gary Stone: 
2GBR..Where can I get the repair kit you mention? My MM jack seems to be losing pumping pressure. I also didn't think they were serviceable.

When mine blew the seals out of warranty and dumped the oil on the floor, I took it back to MM they gave me the code for a MM reseal kit which I ordered and fitted this was a couple of years back and it has been ok since prob due to light duties only, When you look at the crap machined surface inside the pressure cylinder it is a wonder it holds oil at all. Would be a nice little project for someone to machine up a decent cylinder then they would be cured.

Quoting Roger Ford: 
The MM one is a great lightweight jack - ideal for transporting to race meetings or track days.

The Arcan looks like it might be a better garage jack - it's quick-lift and goes significantly higher (508mm vs 375mm). More money, though.

The height gain is significant, and for the sake of an extra £30-40 quid over the long term, plus the extra lift capacity, that's why I went for it. It's pretty big though; agree that the MM one would be better for mobile/track use unless you've got a full support van!

• 3 weeks later...