Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S Type seats - the type with removable velcro pads

robert green

I have the s type seats that date from the early 1990's. They are the ones with the adjustable velcro pads. The under thigh part of the passenger seat seems to have slid forward, but not off (due to a strap that now seems to be under tension). The piece that has slid forward seems to be attached via rods, which are R clipped into tubes from the seat base and are still sound and in place, but the tubes that come from the main seat base don't appear to have moved either.

Has anyone any experience of refurbishing these seats, and if so, could they explain what might have happened, and how it might be resolved? I appreciate this description may not be clear to anyone but me, and would be happy to answer any further questions. Thanks in advance.

Robert

I think based on your description I used to have a set of seats like these and if my memory is correct the adjustable thigh support slides in and out of the tubes and you set in in desired location using the R clips. Does that make sense?

I have these seats in my 1993 S3. The passengers front portion slips forwards like yours. I think there is an 'R' clip at 1 end and the other end should be fixed. I normally have mine as far back as they go and just push it into position.

You may have to remove the seat to see what's come loose.

Bruce.

From what I gather, as noted by others, your seats are working exactly how they should.

My front pad slides fore and aft on the rods with a little resistance and ultimately held on by the poppered strap. I thought the resistance was just enough so that the pad stayed in the desired position.

I can remove the pad by sliding the seat back as far as possible and then undoing the strap. The pad will then slide off the rods completely.

You should just be able to slide it back. Maybe it needs a little lube or extra shove.

I've not noticed the R clips but I have one of my seats out of the car right now so will have a look later.

Cheers

David

Robert,

The R clips sit in a little groove in the tube that is attached to the seat pad so that the arm closest to the pad sits within the tube - see pic 2. The rods from the seat that the tube slides over have three notches equally spaced that I believe the R clip arm will nestle in when you slide the pad fore and aft, which as mentioned provides the adjustment settings.

So the R clips are fixed and the pad should slide up and down the rod.

If your pad won't slide back I can only imagine it is just a bit stuck and needs a little extra force, mine adjust with ease.

if you are able to prise the R clips off then that may help you get the pad off to see what might be going on.

Pics below to help explain. Let me know if I can be of more help.

image herea seat 1 by snapper seven, on Flickr

image herea seat 3 by snapper seven, on Flickr

Cheers

David

• 4 months later...