Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZZR Tyres

Time to replace tyres and was thinking of ZZR's in place of my worn AO48's.

I've heard they're particularly dodgy in the wet and whilst my car is used mainly on sunny sundays and the occaisional track day, you never know how the weather can catch you out.

A viable option?

Cheers

• Leadership Team

I've just moved from 48's to ZZR's and think they're brilliant *thumbup* I didn't think I'd notice the tyres being less weight but it's changed the feel of the car quite a bit. Not been caught out in the rain yet .....

Stu.

I am running 48's as my road tyre and ZZRs as my track tyre. I have run both tyres on the track in the wet and the ZZRs were a revelation, so much more grip. As a result I am considering ditching the 48s and getting a set of ZZRs for the road as well as the track.

Caveats: My 48s have loads of tread, but are old (date code 2005) so are like wood. My ZZrs are the supersoft version. So the comparison isn't very fair. 😳

I have ZZRs on my new car and they have far more grip than the Cr500s i had before.

As my wife said " theres not much tread on those tyres " *eek* so wet weather performance isn't going to be great .T

That said it drove a CC demonstrator ( 620R ) in the wet/ damp at Silverstone and they weren't completely useless .

If you had a set of race tyres for the wet they'd be the softest compound you could get. Granted they'd have more cuts in them to displace the water, but if you'd compare a zzr vs a cr500 in damp conditions I'd say the zzr would consistently get a better lap time.

Having said that I have no knowledge of either so am basing my statement on logic.

I'll be burning through my cr500's ASAP and get on the zzr's

Great, that was unexpectedly positive! Zzr's it is then. I really feel that my steering is quite heavy when changing direction at speed, so hopefully a lighter tyre might show an improvement.

Quoting Culminator: 
Great, that was unexpectedly positive! Zzr's it is then. I really feel that my steering is quite heavy when changing direction at speed, so hopefully a lighter tyre might show an improvement.

It may be nothing to do with the weight of the tyre.

Peter

The ZZR is a cracking dry tyre, it is also what you want on a damp to drying track.

ZZR can't compete with a CR500 in wet and cold conditions, 1. It will never warm up and 2. There is no rotary tread so it can't shift water - tyre gets lifted and woohoo funtimes.

Then again if it is that wet the CR500 can't compete with the CR28.

Go with the ZZR's they are fine for most conditions other than big standing puddles.

I love the ZZRs on mine, in the dry. In the wet they are like driving on marbles!

There is a ZZS version with more tread, but not quite yet legal, so I suspect I will end up with a set of wheels with those on, to chuck on the car if the weather is looking the slightest bit iffy.

Quoting Culminator: 
Price difference is about £50 a set more for the ZZRs. That's based on a cracking deal on AO48 s at £378 a set.

I can confirm that £378 is about right for a set of AO48r`s in 13inch INCLUDING vat.

Are we saying that ZZR`s are £50 more per set still including vat ?