Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reluctantly Caterham Fireblade For Sale

Scott Dabinett

I'm sure most have seen on pistonheads but incase some people haven't I am selling the fireblade. Haven't had the best of luck with the car. Couple of things went wrong, one being the big end. I bought another engine and fitted it and unfortunately the same thing happened so I'm certain that the dry sump pump has gone as the dry sump is the only thing that I swapped from engine to engine. After this happening and the bad luck I had with my previous car with the head gasket going I think I am going to give caterham a rest for a while.

The car is well known within the club and people know how good it is so if anyone is after a fireblade engined car please let them know. To get it all up and running it just needs and engine and a scavenge pump from pace.

Link to advert with full spec is here

I nearly bought your car back in February this year from its previous owner in Tonbridge but we couldn't agree on a price and there were a few bits that concerned me. However, I can vouch for the fact its a lovely looking car in real life, and wants for very little (except of course another engine and scavenge pump - which are well worth doing to restore to its former glory).

I must admit I would have been gutted if I was looking at 2 engine changes in it in 3 months, that is very bad luck and I was very sorry to hear that, and I wish you well with the sale. I eventually settled on a 2010 Superlight sigma150 which I am very pleased with, but still have a soft spot for the Fireblade and Blackbird sevens - the concept is still brilliant and these JW factory cars and the Caterham endorsed 1100xx were beautifully executed builds back in the day.

Bad luck that. Just my view but if it were me I would stick it in the garage for a while, sulk and have a few beers to hatch a plan. On the basis the sale value will be reduced due to problems, might as well have another go at fixing it after a while - winter project. It's a nice car and now you know the issue it should be perfectly sortable. Sure, expensive but you will likely loose the same amount in any sale.

I like your thinking born2run - I'd do the same, source the pump and a couple of spare engines when you see them cheap from scrapped bikes, and put it all back together next winter, tinker with any cosmetic bits in between to make a perfect car. If you can afford to sit on it for 5 years - prices of an original JW Blade or Caterham Blackbird in road trim will only go up, and subsequently pay for the work you have done keeping her on the road. I did that with my mk.1 Superlight that my brother now owns: bought a tatty low mileage car, 8 years ago, did the cosmetic work, and demand is still good for them and prices rising slowly - as well as being an epic 7 to enjoy occasionally too. You don't always have to buy the latest and greatest, people often overlook brilliant performance models form the past and your JW Blade is one of them. Good luck.

Depends where you get it from doesn't it - engine wise, buy a complete written-off late '90s Honda Fireblade for as little as £300, the scavenge pump can either be sent away for reconditioning for a couple of £hundred, or twice this to replace with a new one. Whether there are any crated-new Honda engines left anywhere I don't know, but these used to be about £1500 a throw, but a bit uneccessary as you have to strip so much off it and if you are uncertain about the oil circuit, may as well stick with used bike engines, there are plenty about and they are so well built 60,000 miles on one (in a bike) it will still have tens of thousands of miles of life left in it. Interesting project for someone, and much easier to work on than even a K-series car because the engine is so light to lift in and out

A lot of blade cars run with a wet sump and baffle plate with no problem. I had one in my Westfield and it ran well with no issues.

Andy Bates at AB performance is the man to speak to and he'll be very helpful, he does a lot of the RGB cars.

best regards

Ian

• Area Representative

Andrew Walkers old car. About £400-700 for an engine off Ebay, pump rebuild/replacement £300-400, few hours to fit, result lovely car. Wish I had the money and the time at the moment. Absolute bargain if you ask me.

Nick

That's fits my profile.... 9x different 7s, one Lotus, and a 911 over the last 15years - I'm afraid I didn't have the space or funds to keep that lot, and am just down to a Superlight150 Sigma myself and sold my brother my Superlight1.8k to keep my favourite K-series car in the family too, and to retain the two basic mk1. & mk.2 Superlights into the future hopefully.

Sad story indeed - I can't say I blame Scott - once bitten, twice shy (twice bitten, definitely time to move it on to someone with fresh enthusiasm for it) - I'd be the same, and at least you got to experience the legendary JW Fireblade 7 albeit briefly and probably not quite the experience you expected, your next one has to be a luckier 7, All the best Scott

Thanks for everyones comments and I will miss having a 7! Superlight91 summed it up really, it is an unbelievable car and mentally fast but after it happening twice it is defiantly time for someone else to take it over! I think I am going to give cars a break and itch a scratch I have been having for a while with an enduro bike until I get a bit more enthused about cars again! I will definitely own another 7 one day!! Thanks!!