Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle nose leak

Ivaan

Hi, I've got the usual very small leak from the nose of the axle, from the propshaft seal.

I've ignored it up to now, and just topped up the oil every once in a while.

I'm wondering how big a job it is to change. I think I can disconnect the prop easy enough, but how much is involved in getting at the seal and replacing.

Many thanks for your help.

Clive

Thanks all,

I've noticed that as you change the A frame bushes, the axle rotates forwards/downwards, only stopped by the prop, so with the A frame and prop disconnected, it should give enough access to get at the seal.

Good idea to mark the nut/casing, as this will help align the split pin hole?

Elie's sending me a manual for the axle, so I'll know more then.

Might not tackle this job until next winter, just keep my eye on the oil level.

Regards, Clive

Having tried this myself some time ago, I encountered difficulty in releasing the pinion retaining nut which is torqued pretty high. The problem is that the half shafts spring and consequently you cannot release the nut. Mind you I was trying to do it using axle stands rather than a pit which would have given me more leverage.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I ended up taking the axle to the 7 Workshop for some new wheel bearings and shims and the seal was also replaced.

Chris reckoned that the secret was to bolt a bar to the pinion flange which hold the whole thing ridged and you can then get the necessary leverage. I guess I will be trying this out fairly soon as the seal has started weeping again. Or, I may just put a new piece of clean cardboard on the garage floor 😬

I think you have to pretty careful to to tighten up the nut back to where it was if the CWP is to run correctly within tolerances.