Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen Surround

Steve B

I have a 2 year old Super Sport with a silver anodised windscreen surround. The car has done about 4k miles and is not used in the winter' goes in the garage etc.

The surround has discoloured badly and the anodising is starting to flake off.

I appreciate that this is outside of the warranty period but surely you would expect better quality and durability.

Any experiences similar ?? *confused*

Mine's 4 years old and been garaged, but driven in all weathers. No sign of discolouration etc. I'd be inclined to take it up with Caterham. They were OK when I had a radiator failure not long after the end of the warranty period.

Richy

Tried Caterham and not that much help. They argue its out of warranty. Fair enough but the quality of the part is pretty poor and really should have lasted longer. Offering a bit of discount on a new one but have a policy of not posting them so they want me to collect as well (400 miles). I'm not getting that warm fuzzy customer care feel at all !!

I don't think anodising flakes off as it is an electrolytic process to seal the ali surface against oxidation.

If yours is flaking and discoloured it is probably some form of sprayed on surface protection, clear coat lacquer or such like.

Why not see if you can polish the areas where the coating is coming off, if you can then possibly remove the windscreen from the frame and get it professionally finished.

Mine is 32 years young, and has several stone marks, but no signs of corrosion, and no flaking.

Nigel.

Your rights under the Sale of Goods Act are not limited by the vendor's warranty.

If you want to take it further

* Take photographs and see if if you can compare it with others

* Read the relevant bit from Citizens Advice

* Tell Caterham in writing that you would like it fixed or replaced.

* Keep a written contemporaneous record of all communications.

If they won't fix or replace it you'll have to choose between accepting it or (probably) using the small claims process.

Jonathan

Mine had a crack so was replaced last year under insurance - had to pay the excess, but not the £500(?) for a new heated screen. The old screen surround was 5 years old and silver and has not flaked as far as I remember at all. If you get no joy, was going to sell mine (for much less than £500.) It would need a new glass (but you have the glass in yours? Not sure how hard to replace) Im in NW Leicestershire if of any use. *wavey*

Support for what Jonathan has posted. Have had several electrical items that have been out of warranty but used the Sale of Goods Act to get some money refunded. You need to establish what would be considered a reasonable lifetime for the product and claim for any time you have not had due to failure of the product.

The expected lifetime of a windscreen surround must be beyond 2 years and 4k miles.