Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front and rear brake disc replacement

Thurtene

Hello all

I'm about to replace the front and rear brake discs.

So that I don't get half-way through before realising I've forgotten something, can anyone provide a list of what replacement parts I'll need along the way?

Can I re-use anything I take off (bolts, bearings etc)? I've ordered new 41mm nuts for the rear but if I can't re-use the disc-to-hub bolts, where can I get replacements? What about the front bearings, castellated nuts etc?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

The rear disc to hub nuts have a reduced height head. To ensure a good purchase on them a socket ground off flat, preferably a 6 point, will reduce chance of slippage/rounded off corners. A bit of blowlamp heat will soften any loctite which has been used.

The front bolts can be treated similarly.

A couple of new front split pins is easier than trying to reuse distorted removed ones.

Rear hub nuts can be reused. A small dab of loctite if you are anxious, but they are done up FT and with handed threads are desisned to naturally tighten rather than loosen.

(although I did note you already bought new)

All the other stuff, bearings, etc. reuseable assuming all in good order.

Enjoy!

Peter

Once off the car .... put the studs of the hub in a wheel laying on the floor. This gives you a chance to hold it while using a long breaker bar with a hex socket (not 12-point one), as suggested above.

Local heating around each bolt with hot air gun or blow lamp is probably essential. Good luck.

edit ... left wheel left hand hub nut thread, right wheel right hand thread (rears only)

Edited by - SM25T on 12 Apr 2014 08:22:42

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Have you got access to a big torque wrench for the hub nuts?

Or a breaker bar, a tape measure, knowledge of your own weight and the strength of the local gravitational field? (hint: approximately 9.8 newtons per kilogram, unless you're doing the job somewhere very unusual)

Defo new bolts for disc to rotor given the high likelihood of some damage to heads while removing. Top tip putting the assembly on a wheel, then kneeling on it to add some weight as you undo it with a long breaker bar. Put lots of weight through the bolt to keep it on the head.

Definitely doing it on this planet *biggrin* and have access to a big enough torque wrench.

Saw a link elsewhere for the disc-to-hub bolts in the Caterham store but they didn't have enough to do all four wheels. Any ideas for an alternative source?

Take a bolt removed from the car to a local machine shop.

Ask them to source set(s) of same and turn down the thickness of the head in a lathe. that is exactly what the CC supplied ones are.

Whilst at it get a bunch extra make up and flog them on here so others don't have to suffer CC's parts shortages... (as you are)

Peter

Quoting TomB: 
..... Top tip putting the assembly on a wheel, then kneeling on it to add some weight as you undo it with a long breaker bar. Put lots of weight through the bolt to keep it on the head.
is deffo a top tip, Tom *thumbup*. The dust on the upper crust of that tip is blowlamp heat as the primary reason for them being stuck will be loctite or general seized up rustyness.

Peter

To wind the rear caliper pistons back in before refitting, use the tool supplied with an angle grinder (spanner type thing with 2 pins sticking out)

Works well and if you don't have either an angle grinder or the proper wind back tool, buying an angle grinder is more useful than buying a wind back tool.

which is great if you have the fortune to get one ordered a week before you start work, but when you've got the wheels off and the car's on axle stands in the drive, the angle grinder tool 'might' be in the drawer and available while waiting for ebay items to arrive is going to put a spanner in the works. *rolleyes*

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Interesting discusion about tools. Please could someone who has used both please advise amateurs like me whether the wind-back tool makes the job easier than the peg spanner.

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 13 Apr 2014 21:53:38

I just used a big screw driver to twist it back in... did the job (Didn't think about the angle grinder spanner )