Click here if you are having website access problems ×

F1 Turbo

evotell

It's very clever and makes very good sense. Also very difficult for other teams to adapt to in the year.

Which leads me to a question - do all Mercedes suplied teams have this?

I had heard that there are differences between the Mercedes team and customers engines - is ths one of them?

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
How long before this technology filters down to an AMG road car?
The McLaren P1 uses electric drive to the wheels (not to the turbocharger) to fill the gap from turbo lag and similar undesirable non-linear behaviour. I presume the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive does something similar but I don't know.

But for ordinary road cars I predict that electric drive with hybrid sources will dominate. That way the ic engine can run at optimal conditions without constraint from the connection to the road. The F1 approach should wake up interest in this.

Jonathan

Quoting elie boone: 
I would split up the compressor in 2 smaller one's if I want to reduce lag.

Quoting F1 Regs: 
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and within 25mm of the car centre line. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the same angular velocity, an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it

Edited by - Barbarossa. on 10 Apr 2014 12:29:33

We're going to see a lot more technical details coming out over the next few months. The FIA has realised how little the public appreciate the technical advances that have been made in these new cars and is pushing the engine manufacturers to 'boast' about what they have achieved.

For example, the thermal efficiency of these new power units is about 35% over a race distance. To put that in perspective, that is about the same as a modern diesel repmobile cruising down the motorway at a constant 2000 rpm!