Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda Civic Type R (2003) flat battery

Smegnoguk

Help! 😳

My son's car. Battery went flat so I charged it up. Went flat again after 3 days so I replaced it with a new one from Halfords. Also went flat. Have read that circuits can jam on even when all is switched off an drain battery. Have charged battery again and tested all fuse tops with a multimeter to see if there is a voltage across any of them but no luck. If I switch meter to amps and put it in series with the negative terminal on 250 milliamps there is a strong reading off the scale. Does that mean there is a current flowing when there shouldn't be?

Yes.

When you say it goes off the scale ...... you need to choose another scale ...... so you know the real current draw. Go for 1A or 10A scale ?

Anything over a few milliamps will drain the battery.

Some cars suffer boot light or self-dimming interior lights not shutting down fully. Switch these off or take bulb out of boot light. Then measure again.

Could anything be left turned on ??

AMENDED AFTER CROSSED POSTS

Probably. Modern cars do drain some current at rest for alarms and life support for some fancy electronics, and IIRC someone in another thread had a rule of thumb for allowable current.

I'd take it to an auto electrician after simple things as suggested above.

Just one other thought: it's unlikely with your story, but new batteries can be duff.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 29 Mar 2014 12:16:47

250 milliamps is quite a lot and does suggest a current draw that shouldn't be there. Leave your multimeter measuring current and pull fuses out one by one. When there's a big drop you've found your culprit.

Edit: just noticed the 'off scale' bit. same advice applies regardless except you would be better using an ammeter that is capable of reading the current draw that you have now.

Edited by - garybee on 29 Mar 2014 12:20:05

50mA is negligible that would take well over a month to drain a 50Ah battery, if it was 50 mA it should not have gone off the scale on the 250mA range doesn't make sense, can you borrow a decent Multimeter ?, to drain a 50Ah battery in 3 days would be closer to 700mA but to flatten it enough not to start Maybe 500mA which would fit with what you said re going off 250mA scale, are you sure its reading 50mA not 500mA.

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 29 Mar 2014 14:25:00

Talking to myself here but nothing unusual there. Backup lights are REVERSING LIGHTS! 😬

Might just leave that fuse out for a bit to see if it solves the problem Presumably making sure the gear stick is nowhere near reverse when parked is also a good idea.

Thanks to those who responded.

Just spotted your reply Tim. It was definitely off the scale at least twice so fault may be intermittent. Will get a better meter today. Many thanks again to all.

Edited by - Smegnoguk on 29 Mar 2014 14:24:44

Intermittent drains are not only very unusual but will be a real bugger to find, so 500mA at 12v you are looking at something using around 5 or 6 watts of power exactly what a bulb would use, Boot light maybe, under bonnet light, has he got a big PA fitted, maybe not shutting down properly, powered sub don't know just chucking some ideas in the pot, but its going to be fun :-)

Sorry Ian just noticed you suggested same *redface*

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 29 Mar 2014 14:44:02