Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How hard would it be...

myothercarsa2cv

To reverse the louvres on the bonnet? In particular, the ones usually used for the heater? Would it just be a case of hammering it a bit? *tongue* Or is there someone who could do this easily?

Thinking is that I could build me a little airbox to sit where the heater sits, taking air through the louvres, but at the moment they are the wrong way round.

Very easy to hammer them through. But what's the technical term for something that is several orders of magnitude worse looking than a pig's ear?

You might just get away with it using a punch similar to the one that puts them in, a lot of skill and some practice.

But it should be able to punch a new bonnet the wrong way with good outcome...

Jonathan

PS: I toured the Morgan factory as a teenager and was fascinated by the man doing the bonnet louvres as he didn't use a jig. But he did say he'd been doing it for forty years.

Random thoughts....

1) Cut the section out, rotate 180deg and weld back in.

2) See of anyone's got an early bonnet (no heater louvres) then get the louvres stamped in.

3) Get a section made up with louvres and then cut out originals and weld/rivet panel into place.

4) Abandon the louvre thing and feed the airbox from the front *tongue*

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 6 Mar 2014 16:08:22

I think it has been done before - I seem to remember someone asking arch to do a special.

Thing is, how sure are you that they would force air in effectively? There's an awful lot of air entering the engine bay through the nose - and all kinds of movement and interaction via the underside. The louvres aren't exactly huge scoops - and you can't be sure that they stick in high-pressure areas (and have low pressure below them).

In short, it might be an expensive waste of time.

If the airbox is reasonably-well sealed to the bonnet, I'd have thunk that the engine would be able to breathe almost/just as well through conventional louvres.

I am *no* expert, but I did have demonstrable success (in air temp terms if not noticeable power gains!) by ducting air from over the top of the radiator (with a suitable splitter to keep warm air below the duct) - but that was with a front-entry airbox.

My bonnet has the heater louvres reversed from standard. It is (was in 1988) the standard bonnet on cars going to Switzerland.

Reason I got mine like that when I re-chassied was I have a GT6 heater mounted vertically on the cockpit side of the scutlle and the louvres drive air into the heater.

At the time Graham Nearn told me that my car should be standard! *mad* - are any?

Thanks. Myles, I have no idea if it will work! I'm sure I could rig a pressure sensor of some sort up to check what happens... And if I could do that, it's a shame David isn't closer as it would be easy to switch the bonnet and see if that makes a difference!

I'll make a box first (give me a year or two *wink*) and take it from there, I guess! *tongue*

Quoting SM25T: 
Rain will run in on the move if you reverse them John.
Good point Ian. I'll have to have drain holes *tongue* Maybe I'll try it with it as it is for now... *wink* How bad can it be? *eek* And yes Elie, that is a very good idea *thumbup*

Steve, that's really quite good looking. I wonder how much effort it would be to get that on a 7 chassis? Same wheelbase and track, pretty much *wink*