Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sprint tyres

Hi Andrew,

They can be used for classes that allow 1B tyres, as I think they are List 1B. However, the choice in those classes is really between Kumho V70 and Avon ZZR. I started with Yokohama AO48s, and for a first season, they were fine for getting some experience.

Oli

• Area Representative

Beware that both the ZZR and the V70 are available in different compounds.

The ZZR with just two, and V70's having hard, medium, soft, and supersoft, where the hard ones will be slower than your CR500's, and the softer ones a little quicker.

However, if you're only planning on doing a few "toe in the water" events, then I'd just stick with what you are currently running.

Were you thinking of competing at rounds of the clubs own speed championship, or did you have some specific events in mind?

Either way, the the clubs "introduction to sprinting" day at Curborough on the 5th of April would be a good introduction!

Where in the country are you based (which helps decide which events), and what spec of car do you have (which helps to decide what tyres)?

Thanks Richard. I'm based in Cheshire and like you say was just planning to dip my toe in the water as an alternative to track days. I live in Cheshire and am planning to attend the sprint training day and a couple of club sprints. I'd assumed that I couldn't use my CR500's but if I can then great.

Hi Andrew

Rules are such that there is always a class for every car on any tyre. If the sprinting bug bites, you will want to get the right tyres to put you in the lowest possible class, but this can become expensive when wheel/tyre combinations are not strightforward, tyres aren't available, and if rules change. I'm sure the intro to sprinting day will help with advice on all of that.

For a 1.6K, if you are 5 speed, you can probably complete in class 1. Popular tyre for class 1 is Yoko A539. But CR500s not allowed.

If its 6 speed and/or Supersport, you are probably in class 2 or 3.

For class 2, popular choice is Yoko AD08 (but difficult to find now, and needs 15" rims), or Yoko A539. CR500s not allowed. (And new ADO8"R" not allowed!)

For class 3, CR500 is allowed. Others tend to use soft compound Avon ZZR or Kumho Ecsta (and if K series on those tyres, also tend to have dry sumps to cope with the impact of high grip on oil surge). Yoko 48, Toyo 888 also allowed.

Best advice is to use what you have and know for first few events, and not spend £££ upfront other than mandatory safety equipment (suit/boots/lid/gloves/rollover bar).

AB

[Just don't ask whether ZZRs are better then Kumhos as you will fall asleep while the "experts" witter on for hours]

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like new tyres and a fire extinguisher and I'm good to go. The tyres don't seem too expensive though I can't justify a spare set of wheels just yet. I'll attend the sprint training day before I make any decisions.

Hi Andrew,

No fire extinguisher required, just tyres, but only if you want to. You could enter class 3 with the tyres you have just to test out whether you enjoy it. You may be off the pace, but you'll soon know whether you want to invest and drop down to class one to get some more even competition. Treat the first event as a test and see what you think. You need not spend much in advance then.

Just a few thoughts. If like me, you know you'll enjoy it, then get some tyres straight away!

Cheers,

Oli

Watching this with interest as I'm doing the intro day & wondering about tyres too.

Have several spares sets - thinking I'll use the AO48 for starters & see where that gets me.

Bit confused(not hard!) as I want my car flat floored & geometry set up after fitting nitrons (ride height increased at front before fitting nitrons to avoid further sump damage as it was only about 6omm at the front & now with slight understeer *eek*etc) but not sure whether having it set up on my road tytres (CR's, 6inch front, 8 rears))will mean that set up won't work if I then swop to AO48's (which are 6inch all round) for the speed events?

Anybody got any thoughts/comments pls?

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 28 Jan 2014 21:11:49

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 28 Jan 2014 22:03:50

Standard road set up for me with wind screen removed. Oh and at some point I need to learn to drive a Caterham as the car isn't on the road yet and my only experience of a Caterham is a track day R300 hire. *smile*

Well I'm committed now, sent the cheque off for the sprint training day. Looking forward to meeting everyone. If I decide to do any sprints after this it'll probably be at tracks such as Blyton and Anglessey where I've done track days before. My Caterham is a 200 bhp drop in horsepower from my pervious car but a similar power to weight ratio and just over a second slower to 60.

MSA Blue book

Section J Competitors Vehicles

5.20.8. Except for racing cars, be fitted with a windscreen. If plastic windscreen, side screens or rear windows are fitted the thickness must not be less than 4mm.

hence why we have to run either a windscreen or Aeroscreen.

Edited by - CaterBram on 1 Feb 2014 17:00:57

That's why we have our own regs and for years when competing in other champs we have either had to fit a screen or run in non road going.

Our regs do not follow the standard MSA ones.

In some cases we have added safety - eg the need for any roll bar of any description in road going.

Who remembers the S2 competing at Llys y Fran with no bar whatsoever!

Had not noticed the Curborough reg. I think the Comp Sec will need to amend this to ensure it matches the full Championship Regs.

Now what constitutes an aero is another question. 😈😈 *tongue*

I've driven without an aero. With full face helmet you can feel the air pushing but there not real buffetting. Really ok even at over 110mph wind effects on helmet were not an issue.

With the aero, the air stream is accelerated up over the top of your helmet it tends to create a lift effect pulling your helmet up and buffetting.

If the regs allow no aero or screen I would be keen to try to go without.

Saves weight and drag.

Peter

Interesting. Only time I've run without any screen was at Avon Raceway hunkered down out of the airstream having removed the Airbrake. I nearly got to stage of running without a silencer too *smile*

My interpretation of our regs in conjunction with MSA Blue book is that we are (nearly) all running Road Legal classes (not "Race Cars") therefore car should be run in silhouette as sold/available, therefore with Aero, Brooklands or Windscreen....oh and at least two mirrors, seats etc. in MOT legal form.

I'd have destroyed many an expensive windscreen coming off track so glad we allow Aero unlike say BARC classes. I would not be comfortable ever having an open path directly in front of my throat. Depends how tall you are I suppose ?

6speedmanaual - my experience has been the total opposite *confused*

no screen of any type (as a passenger) tried to rip helmet off, ok it was Rob Grigsby driving at cadwell, but I was having to hold it down with a spare hand...

aero screen driving for 10+ years (various types, single, double) no problems at all

I guess it depends on a bunch of factors around driver height, aero position, etc etc

rob *smile*

My worries about a putting my screen on or off are only oriented around what the weather will do....I did plan to take the wind screen off and fit the aero screen for sprints or track days