Click here if you are having website access problems ×

40th Anniversary Paint Code Question

Occulomency

POBC - After a slight misunderstanding involving me, my 7 and a telegraph pole, the very nice gentleman at the repairers need to know the colour code for the paint on my 1998 Caterham 40th Anniversary Edition.

All I know it as is 'Ruby Red' but I'm sure there must be proper paint code.

Caterham have been helpful, but don't have the records as all their painting is outsourced (so they tell me).

So, anyone know or at least know where I should look?

Thanks.

Fraser.

Edited by - Occulomency on 17 Jan 2014 11:46:24

Also have this, a 1997 one and was told it was a Renault or Peugeot colour! Simple solution was to go to local paint suppliers, they brought out their mobile colour testing unit and during a long and interesting chat about the car and paints they took several readings from various places and made me up quarter of a litre. Very close match, cannot see the difference. It does depend how you apply it and needs clear lacquer of course. They had 2 component aerosols for this which was rathe handy, although they are one time use of course, but saves the hassle of setting up the spray gun. Had the option of water or solvent base. Keep a small can and the formulae of course, but this is reference to their pigments so not of use elsewhere.

Pardon the hi-jack, but a related question, please:

Is the 40th anniversary red from 1997 the same shade (paint code?) as the 40th anniversary red from 2013? I ask because I live outside the U.K., so I don't regularly see the 40th anniversary cars running all over the place like you may see. *tongue*

Been curious about this though, as on the computer screen, they appear to be a very similar red.

Thanks for all the advice, I've got Tony at TSK's details and passed them on to the repairers.

BBL - I don't think it's the same colour. the one new 40th Edition I have seen looked a bit more scarlet.

Fraser.

Edited by - Occulomency on 20 Jan 2014 10:47:35

If a colormatcher makes a color sample for a bodyshop he will always leave a part of the sample unpainted to show the chosen primer, primer is always painted in 2 layers. Then he will try to match the color in 2 layers, but if the color is very transparant he can divide his sample in 3 parts, showing 2 layers, 3 layers and 4 layers this to aid the bodyshop in determing how many layers he need to apply in order to get a good match on both sides of the body.