Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting RIF Aero

Dave Rothwell

I about remove my original perspex aero from my 1999 superlight and fit a new Rif aero i was lucky to buy. Any advice, instructions, or pictures of an existing installation would really help. The new Rif is undrilled, is it correct that it just bolts to the lower screen forward mounts and then clips onto the central tonneu studs . If so how do you replicate the studs for the tonneu if they are used by the screen. Perhaps by some kind of double stud as supplied with soft bits hoods ? Also i guess i will have to drill a hole in the screen base for my SPA centre mirror.

Many thanks as always,

Best regards, daveR

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 14 Jan 2014 21:45:04

Drill out the two centre ones and replace with male studs (ooh er!) through the carbon mirror extension bit using countersunk self tapper.

I've probably got a couple of studs if you need them. Go on say it! 😬

Edited by - Phil G on 15 Jan 2014 16:01:28

Thanks for the helpful hints and thanks Paul, i can always do with some rubber *smile*

Paul i have made a start and got to three of the five screws holding down the old screen. Have manage to see other two, they are well hidden behind the wiring loom but should be possible perhaps with help of a decent mirror.

daveR

Quoting Paul Richards: 
If you need some rubber to edge it and stop marking body, let me know.
Paul - what style of rubber edging do you use?

I recently bought a second hand aeroscreen and an initial fit suggests there'll be a gap under the leading edge and that some sort of rubber such as this or this would a. fill it and b. prevent the aero scratching the scuttle.

Now thinking i would like to use some kind of double popper (?) to pop the centre of the screen onto the existing tonneau studs and then have another male fitment on top of the screen flange to pop the tonneau onto. If I leave the centre mirror mount attached to the scuttle and cut a small slot in the centre of the carbon flange to enable the screen to be slid in place around the centre mirror upright this would make it a very quick job to remove/refit the screen again if I wanted to put my full screen on and off in the future. It would only be remove the two front bolts and unpop the centre. Good- Bad ??

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 20 Jan 2014 18:39:34

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 20 Jan 2014 18:40:07

• Leadership Team

Dave, I can't comment on the RiF setup but I'll try to describe my Caterham aeroscreen install ....

The popper bases for the tonneau remain riveted to the scuttle.

The large "foot" at the middle of the aeroscreen has female popper halves on the underside mated to the popper tops that I linked to - I've now checked and I have a couple of these spare if you want them? There's also enough space on the foot area, between and forward of the new popper tops to solidly mount the central mirror.

The complete aeroscreen assembly therefore has all 3 mirrors permanently fitted. To fit, it just locates on the centre poppers and is anchored at the ends with the forward stanchion bolt. When fitted the tonneau is located on the new popper tops fitted to the aeroscreen *thumbup*

ETA, the Caterham aero is designed to have the centre section slightly raised to allow for the poppers underneath, this might not be the case with the RiF version?

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 20 Jan 2014 18:51:43

Thanks for all the info Stu -this sounds the way to go, Jonathan called lst night to collect a build manual and he also suggested mounting the central mirror to the screen foot - the rif foot is not raised but maybe i can run some thin rubber the full length of the aero to raise the foot slightlyto adjust for the poppers. I will have a look on softbits site for the poppers - thanks for the offer if i get stuck for the bits,

Cheers, daveR

The poppers are a reasonable-ish 72p a pair from Caterham as per a previous post's link...

However, CC's minimum P&P is £2.50 (which what they reckon it costs them in terms of time to raise an invoice, put the order through and, of course, the postage and packing!)

I need a couple for my aeroscreen, so Dave, if you're going too buy some, let me know and we can share costs.

Hi Col -

Sorry - I have already ordered the poppers from Softbits - Their sockets seem to average out around 20p to 40p each depending if you want stainless or nickel -

Softbits Fittings

Also ordered some trim and stuff from Woolies

Cheers

daveR

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 21 Jan 2014 13:15:55

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 21 Jan 2014 13:17:08

no probs Dave... stupidly, I hadn't looked at SBFS's site... like that they offer blackened fittings - much more attractive than the shiny items Caterham supply!

So an order for 2x sockets and 2x doubling studs imminent! (Am also tempted by some blackened sockets to replace my current ones for the tonneau...)