Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New gearbox for Academy cars - from MX5

Grubbster

I don't have the details Roger, just found out this was a change for next year. Someone has also suggested they will have variable valve timing and a cold air intake but I'm not sure how they'd do this?

CC's Academy web page still says 5 speed, but they are not know for their speediness to update such details so who knows!

The Late Sigma crate engines have VVT but I expect Caterham to run them as if they didn't have it.

Roger - there are lots of current spec cars that will be forced out of the official series in years to come, but it makes it harder, I agree. Ford diff for instance will be banned for 2015.

Jez

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 8 Dec 2013 18:44:56

Comparison of ratio's

.............. Type 9.....................MX5

1st..............3.36.......................3.136

2nd.............1.81.......................1.888

3rd..............1.26.......................1.33

4th..............1.00.......................1.00

5th..............0.82.......................0.814

Useful, thanks. If I'm reading that right, the slightly higher first might be a marginal advantage on starts, but first is irrelevant during races. The lower second gear is a disadvantage, but that might be made up by third being slightly lower as well. The higher fifth would be a definite disadvantage, if the difference wasn't so marginal.

All in all, I don't think we need worry about either box having a big advantage over the other. Each will probably be slightly better for particular circuits. I suppose if we allow either there's a slight risk that very well-healed racers will swap boxes to get the best one for the circuit, but I think we'll just deal with that by laughing at them and making them buy the beers.

Slightly longer first is better off the start. But it's marginal. The Megas have a worse "off the line" with their long first (and the K is peakier too) but by saving more than a whole gearchange it would be better to be longer than the MX5 box. Something in the low 2s would work for me!

A shorter second and third is a definite disadvantage. Second is really still too short in the Ford box, useful only at Mallory, Cadwell and Snetterton, and that's with AO48s (even less use with CR500s). The gap is similar, which will still leave the "2 and a half" gear corners. However, the gap from 3rd to 4th in the MX5 box looks a worry (a 25% rev drop, from a max of 7,200 to 5,400, where my engine only comes alive at that point).

Fourth and fifth are effectively the same. As the car is flat out at about 120 with no assistance (which would require gearing of about 0.95 in 5th on AO48s) then a 0.90 fifth (or so) would be ideal. If I had to spec the perfect box, it would be something like (with useable speed in brackets in mph on AO48s, based on a rev range of 5,400-7,200):

1st - 2.20 (52)

2nd - 1.68 (52-69)

3rd - 1.33 (65-87)

4th - 1.11 (79-105)

5th - 0.90 (97-129 theoretical)

On balance, I prefer the Ford ratios!

Jez

Edited by - Z3MCJez on 11 Dec 2013 16:15:15

Nice box but lets hope some of the aftermarket guys start making gear kits for them as for upgrade use those ratios are way out.

I know Quaife do some MX-5 kit but they wouldn't be my first port of call, so all things considered an ally cased type 9 will still offer better more choice and are likely to do so for some time yet.

• 6 months later...