Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PVR Clubsport 22 Battery

AndrewGP

As part of my winter refresh (more threads to come on this later on!) I'm fitting the CC dry sump kit which means moving the battery. I'm ditching my 4 year old Banner anyway and I thought the Ultramax NP20 would fit the bill nicely, esp after reading the thread on it.

However, I've just seen this PVR Clubsport 22 here on ebay. Reading the blurb on the PVR website seems it would be well suited and it's well priced with the bracket too.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers Kev. I've ordered it this morning anyway and I'll report back on what it's like. The rated CCA is 300A (700A Peak) whilst your PVR25 is rated at 265A CCA and 680A Peak, so it should be up to the job. £50 delivered for the battery and brackets seems pretty good to me too *smile*

Andrew - I'm assuming that this is a gel battery?

If so do you already have, or are you planning to fit, an FIA cutout? I had a gel battery on my last 7 and it was fab - leave the car for 6 months and it would just fire from the slightest tickle of the ignition.

HOWEVER, a parasitic load on the battery (the immobiliser) will flatten it over time and once flat it is a chucker. Also, my understanding is that you can't trickle charge gel batteries.

So, if you don't have an FIA cutoff you would be in the realms of disconnecting the battery if you weren't using the car for a period.

Blokko, many thanks, that's very useful info as I do have an immobiliser and I don't have an FIA cutoff switch! Although the car gets used quite a bit in the summer, it doesn't in the winter or during occasional 8 week stints in Afghanistan so it would seem sensible to fit one. Another job added to the list, good job the car is off the road until April 😬

Quoting Blokko: 
HOWEVER, a parasitic load on the battery (the immobiliser) will flatten it over time and once flat it is a chucker. Also, my understanding is that you can't trickle charge gel batteries.

Optimate and CTEK both say their conditioners are suitable for use with gel batteries. I suspect it's just the cheap "non-smart" trickle chargers that shouldn't be used.

I have a dim and distant memory that there were all sorts of dire warnings about using chargers on my gel battery when I purchased it - but this was about 5 years ago, so maybe I'm mistaken.

A quick Google seems to list all sorts of contradictory advice, so to be on the safe side I think I'd want an FIA cutoff in place to use a gel battery (I may well go down this route when the current battery dies assuming that retro fitting an FIA cutoff isn't too painful).

• 5 months later...
Any feedback on this yet Grenpayne? I'm looking to replace my ailing Banner and am trying to decide between the PVR and Ultramax. I think it boils down to whether or not I want the PVR bracket or just modify the existing one so any advice on fitting either is appreciated. I intend to fit the new battery where the Banner is, K series car with the battery on top of the passenger footwell.

Quoting mechanicalmoz: 
Any feedback on this yet Grenpayne? I'm looking to replace my ailing Banner and am trying to decide between the PVR and Ultramax. I think it boils down to whether or not I want the PVR bracket or just modify the existing one so any advice on fitting either is appreciated. I intend to fit the new battery where the Banner is, K series car with the battery on top of the passenger footwell.

So far, so good. Starts the car with ease and was easy to install where the heater used to go. I had the cage powdercoated and I keep it plugged in to a CTek 5.0 Battery Conditioner as I have an immobiliser.

here

here

here

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. Just to follow up on this, there was no way the PVR bracket was going to fit on top of the footwell so I went with the Ultramax NP20 in the existing tray. Car is back to starting on the first flick of the key. *thumbup*