Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat refresh - runners and upholstery

AntonyH

My seats (2005 SV, leather) are a bit tired all round.

Firstly, the runners are pretty stiff, making fore/aft adjustment difficult. Are the runners at all serviceable, e.g. if I take the seats out can they may rebuilt, greased, etc? Or will I just wind up with bits of knackered runner all over the place and wind up buying new ones anyway?

Second, the seats and headrests need restuffing, if possible (the frames are pushing on the underside of the leather in places). Any recommendations, ideally in the South/West Yorkshire or Derbyshire area, gratefully received.

Trying to avoid having to buy new seats if possible...

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting Steve Newman: 
The runner get gunge with grit that lands in the car. Just need a good clean.

Correct!

Took the driver's seat off the runners yesterday (minor issue of one the centre rivnut spinning in the left runner, but got around that!) and with an amount of, poking, stiff brushing, injected lubricant and brute force, delighted to say the seat now gets full travel fore and aft.

*smile*

Another for Oxted!

I had one of mine repaired and refurbed following a chat with Oxted's Ed Marriott. Whilst mine was there it had what Ed called a "CDX mod" which was basically a couple of triangular plates welded to the base of the back rest to add strengthening. He also said the plastic back was replaced with a much thicker grade of plastic. All in all, I was delighted with the service.

The only down side is the cost of getting it to them but I would have no hesitation in using their services again. *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

Quoting AntonyH: 
the frames are pushing on the underside of the leather in places
If this is the bolster (arm) area at the sides it is a common problem ... but easy to fix. The leather tube has some foam around it but the foam will gradually relocate itself. The leather can easily be unfastened at the sides and pealed back to expose the foam and tube, simply reposition the foam then refit the leather.

Stu.

Quoting AntonyH: 
Thanks both.

I suspect it'll need some oxted intervention, the plastic's also cracking in places.

☹️

Shame they're such a long way away!

Sounds similar to my seat. The plastic is pretty cracked but I fixed it for the time being with some extra bits of support and some cable ties. It'll eventually need to be replaced but it's fine for the time being.

For the leather, you'll be surprised how well Liquid Leather can clean them up. Mine looked pretty ropey before using it but they look clean and new again now. Oh, and I found the Autoglym leather cleaner very good for getting the grime out!