Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tools needed for 7 abroad

g7esp

Please tell us a bit more... are you asking about keeping it abroad or tools for touring? And specifically what extra tools you need for that engine, or what tools any of us need in general?

If you're maintaining it rather than just keeping it going when there's a problem you need something like a socket and spanner set: many us use Halfords 90, 150 or 170 piece sets. Don't pay full price: They often sell them at big price reductions and there is a also a Club discount.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 22 Sep 2013 22:43:04

I suppose it depends on how mechanically minded you are, I took enough for me to sort out any minor problems I might have had, if it was anything major then I wasn't going to be able to fix it by the side of the road, so recovery service would be required in that case.

A small 3/8" socket set with a few extra/different bits to suit the car specifics (19mm socket for wheel nuts/right size plug spanner) I used a Bahco S330 (£34 on ebay) and a tool roll with a selection of spanners 6-19mm, screwdrivers, pliers, Allen Key set, half size hammer, gas soldering iron, wire, spark plug brush, various tie wraps, spare throttle cable (or bike derailleur inner), spare clutch cable (if it has one), tyre pressure gauge, small electric compressor (I took a standard one apart and reboxed it in a home made ali box, small bags of various wiring connectors to remake any that might break, heatshrink tubing, small bags of nuts bolts and washers of various sizes, hacksaw blade, electrical tape, cheap multimeter and leads/clips, fuses of various sizes, bulb kit with specifics to my car in it, and a few 500ml (I used old Oasis drink bottles, wide neck) bottles of oil (easier to store in odd places and to use a 500ml one and dispose of the bottle than take a standard 4 or 5 litre bottle and be stuck with it for the whole journey)