Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My car is feeling different after a service...

Tom Butcher

Evening all,

I had my car serviced last week. Its done 22,500 miles, 7 yr old K-series R300.

As well as a oil change etc, i had the foam replaced and the cambelt changed.

I picked the car up in the pouring rain for a 15 minute run back home so was being carefull. However, i noticed straight away that the engine note seemed a tiny but different.. during the drive home i noticed the revs not picking up as keenly as before..

Now i put this down to a nice fresh sevice and perhaps things feeling a little tighter but i have just been on a long run down to the west country and it just doesn't seem to 'parp' or rev so quickly when i blip the throttle on downshifts and perhaps just a tiny bit laboured on take off... i certainly am not getting quite as much noise and pops as i had before..

I haven't spoken to garage yet as i wanted to get a feeling first from here as to whether the engine should feel a little 'tighter' after a cam belt change?

The other thing is when i am going slowly in first and second, i appear to have suddenly developed the dreaded kangaroo foot.. something of which i only had in the first few hours of ownership nearly 8 years ago... This is something that is a definate change from before and feels to me like the engine is starting it and not my foot bouncing!! *confused*

Any advice is much appreciated

A rather concerned Tom ☹️

Thanks guys,

I guess I am asking wether the symptoms I am describing are a common result of the timing perhaps being a little but out...

Will have a little run again over the next few days now it has stretched it's legs to make sure in my mind that its not the same..

😶‍🌫️

Has it got TBs (esp roller barrels)?

These a not hard to setup, but very easy to get slightly out and that can cause all sorts of issues.

I've seen at least 2 cars that have been maintained by experienced CAterham service teams that had poor running due to this. My current car has a recent service report that said the ECU would need re-mapping, when it was mostly RBs not balanced.

I shall be making a phone call!

I was just asking if anyone had experienced this before as there are a lot more caterham hours of ownership out there than mine! *redface* Very often a quick question to someone who has had a similar experience can save a lot of time. Which is what I was posting for. *smile*

Changing the cam belt shouldn't make any difference whatsoever to the engine running.

It is probable that the lack of performance relates to something that they have done.

As has been said If it were to come to me I would immediately suspect that the new belt has been put on and one cam is a tooth out but as has been suggested I would straight away check the RB balance as the first port of call.

You need to take it back to the garage that undertook the work.

Definitely ask them if they 'tuned/tweaked' the roller barrell setup. If they did and did not do it to the Caterham specified settings it would cause a lack of zip if its set a bit 'lean'. The settings are on here if you root around .... print them off and take them in with you if they plan to re set them. If you cant find them shout me on blat mail *wavey*

• 3 weeks later...

Little update....

I promised Monsieur mechanic I would pop a little 'fixed it' note on here, as his attention was drawn to this thread..

All fixed by Monsieur mechanic after spending a few hours with him this morning.. I hope you haven't caught my cold... Sorry about the mess and see you next year! I will be back.

Car is sounding and drives as it did so curry runs are back on.... 😬 *wavey*