Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed gearchange

Bob Shelley

Car is a 2008 R400D with 6 speed box and Titan LSD. Gearbox oil is standard Caterham Comma and is up to level plug. I have recently had problems with the gearchange becoming stiff. Thanks to POBC I have lubricated the change mechanism under the transmission tunnel and it is a lot better. Problem left now is that the shift between all gears is fine until the transmission is warm and then the shift to 1 or 2 becomes very stiff and difficult. Wasn't like this for first four years of ownership.

Any ideas all you experts? Don't think that changing to Redline should be necessary as it wasn't like this before.

It needs to be overfilled. Mine was fine until I changed it. Filled to fill level with correct oil etc - horrible. After a bit of reading on here - and throwing Health & Safety in the bin, I raised the car on stands so it was higher on the fill side. Managed to get the correct (?) amount in - result - perfect gear change.

Worked for me !

*thumbup*

Called R&R yesterday for advice and spoke to Phil's colleague who does the bench fitting of transmissions. He said he thought the problem was the collets and hub on the 1st/2nd change and that this was not uncommon after 10-15k miles. His view was that the box needed a refresh.

He said that the racers have their six speeders refreshed every year, some after as little as 5k miles.

Mine has 15k road only miles and I find it hard to credit that a roadgoing box needs removal for a refresh at such a low interval. Shifting is fine until the box gets really warm. What view do the POBC have?