Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chestnut

Edzup Ezzer

I know this old chestnut (batteries!) has been done to death but I've searched the archive and can't find a thread that answers the question, which alternative battery can be fitted that doesn't require mods to the OE Banner battery installation, to either the leads/terminals and/or battery tray and retaining strap.

Apologies if the answer is lurking there somewhere (I'm sure it is but I can't find it) but I've tried to work out which of the Powervamp/Odysee/Yuasa/Hawker alternatives are an easy alternative. The car is a 1.6K Supersport of 1997 vintage and it's third Banner has just given up the ghost despite usually being on a conditioner when it's not in use. The first two seemed to last a lot longer than the last one so I am inclined to try a different brand this time.

Standing back now as I await waves of acute embarrassment 😳 when my ignorance is exposed for all to see.

Possible over use of the conditioner. A charged disconnected lead acid battery in mild conditions should keep its charge for months.

I gave up looking for a sensible easy to fit alternative so stuck with Banner. I could not find anything that was a straight swap. I was going to go for something sexy last time but found that anything other than lead acid has to be treated with kid gloves and costs a lot. I'm on my third in ten years & 40,000+ miles. Car lives outside but I have a cut-off switch and bring the battery indoors when it is cold. Cheapest Banner was from Tayna.

Hi John,

Your findings seem to echo mine although I do believe Yuasa do a battery that fits although all I can find right now is one with round posts but there are larger ones with the correct square ones and I'm sure I've seen one a while back that was a straight swap. Their website is not very helpful on such details.

Was wondering about the claims that battery conditioners are truly 'fit and forget' but have not heard of anyone suggest they can be overused before.

Thanks for your input and advice.

When I fitted a Powervamp 25 to my old 1999 Supersport back in 2007, I didn't need to modify anything. I filled the rear half of the battery tray with the foam packing that came with the battery (and, no, there were no problems with underbonnet heat!), and then wrapped the whole thing with insulation blanket. The standard leads were (just) long enough to reach the terminals. Some pics here.

JV

My third Banner gave up 2.5 years ago. Local factors found my latest one. Its a couple of mm taller than the Banner but it fits with no mods. Given the fact the leads are now nearer the bonnet I have used a strip of cage protector over the tops of the terminals.

Battery is: NUMAX CXT GOLD, 896CXT, 32Ah, 390A.

Think it is meant for a ride on lawn mower so the chaps in the shop tell me. From what I remember it cost me about £40, 2.5 years ago.

There is a PVR25 in the for sale section - usually plenty for an ordinary K.

A lot smaller/lighter than the banner and can be mounted much more neatly on it's side in front of the scuttle, using the cage from PVR themselves (about £17 delivered for the cage).

They tend not to lose their charge if disconnected as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I contacted my local motor factors where I bought the previous Banners from. They didn't have one in stock and thought that size had been discontinued(?!) but did have a couple of cheaper alternatives. One of which is a Moura (who?) that is a straight swap (size, posts etc) which is what I went for because of the following:- 30Ah (same as Banner), 300Amps CCA (Banner only 240A) and a four year warranty, and cost less than £50 (versus £67 delivered Banner best price on the web).

Moura it would appear are Brazilian OE battery suppliers to VAG, Ford etc (in Brazil that is) so would seem to be worth a punt, especially with a four year life minimum.

Banner have a four year guarantee too. I had one that died after a couple of years and the motor factors replaced FOC on presentation of the original receipt.

One thing to remember when keeping it on conditioner is that it can dry out the cells. It is best to check every so often and top up the water as required so there is a few mm above the plates.

Cheers

David

I changed from a Banner a few years back and replaced it with a Yuasa 896 professional. Battery tray & leads stayed as is but the tie down strap did need a little fettle just to get it to lay down between the battery cells. Other than that almost a plug and play installation *smile*