Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hesitation and cutting out???

jelley1970

Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas on the problem I'm having?

I have a r500 duratec and at Snetterton yesterday the car was

Hesitating at high revs, particularly in 5th, it seems to cut of and on

Very quickly on a steady throttle when cornering and also

A few times really cuts out / stalls half way through the revs.

The trouble is its all bit intermittent, I had changed the plugs

So not that, anyone else had anything similar???

• Area Representative

Not sure how useful but once on track mine felt like it was hitting the rev limiter at half revs. It turned out to be an inner piece of the Pipercross filter socks came loose and was blocking the carb intakes. Not your setup but check no air intake blockages.

z7

I am no expert but I am thinking TPS or plug wiring. I had similar trouble with my R400D- don't know the R500 set up but if John Vine is along shortly he will have a better view than me - he helped me.

I will try and find the thread on here but worth searching TPS wiring anyway. Sorry if this is a red herring.

Quoting Pete - W.Sussex: 
I am no expert but I am thinking TPS or plug wiring. I had similar trouble with my R400D- don't know the R500 set up but if John Vine is along shortly he will have a better view than me - he helped me.

I will try and find the thread on here but worth searching TPS wiring anyway. Sorry if this is a red herring.

This is the thread Pete is referring to. I suppose COP wiring faults might be a (partial) cause. Does the R500D (with RBTBs) have the same TPS (and wiring) as the R400D (with plenum)?

JV

Well, you could, but at £45+ (assuming it's the Ford item) you might not want to unless and until you've checked a few other things. If we assume your problem is electrical, and that your wiring is similar to mine, I suggest you first check over the wiring where it enters (a) the TPS and (b) the coil-on-plug (COP) connectors. My R400D suffered vibration-induced fractures in both places. The TPS wiring fault produced very erratic tickover and low-throttle behaviour (on the road). The COP wiring fault (just on #1 cylinder as it happens) produced continuous bursts of misfires, mostly at high revs (the latter was on a Llandow trackday). The cure in both cases was to fit CC's "race" sublooms. Maybe your car has these already? They are made from thick silicone-covered wire, and are very flexible. Do yours look like the ones here (TPS) and here (COP), with flexi-loom wiring colours like this?

Of course, your R500 may be quite different, and the problem may not be electrical!

JV