Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best battery for K Series?

Q Catcher

The Seven won't start. It's always been a great starter, apart from the last time the battery suddenly died, which was in 2010. But it's happened again. This evening, the battery registers 10v on the multimeter, despite having been on trickle charge.

For some reason, it won't even start on jump leads from the Focus. It turns half a rev or so and "dies". It won't spin over. (Is this a problem with jump leads? I've never tried to jump-start the Seven before. The leads got hot, but my guess is those round-end jaw grips on the croc clips present too small an area on the flat battery posts on the Seven. (Why oh why ..?).)

So I'm in the market for a new battery, and it's gotta be one I can get quickly, 'cos I'm supposed to be going across the Channel in the car on Saturday morning.

All help appreciated.

If it isn't charging and won't start from another car .... Are all the big cable connections ok .... on battery, alternator, starter solenoid and all the earths from battery to chassis and engine. ?

edit .. are the liquid levels ok in all cells of the original battery ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 10 Jun 2013 20:11:45

As above.

You need to find out if there is another problem, preferably before you fit the new battery.

1 Get some fat jump cables that do bite properly.

2 If the non-starting persists while jump starting then check and remake the connections as above.

Jonathan

The connections are all nicely visible and I'd checked everything; nothing loose or corroded. (The electrolyte levels are correct, too). Nope, I've just taken the big 'un out of the 911, forced it into the Seven and it started it in less than half a second.

Can anyone recommend the best battery?

I use the ebay Ultramax. Cheapy cheap, and pretty long lasting as long as you disconnect it after use. All in all, a decent battery for the money. I reckon they're good for 3 years with regular use, so you'll have to get a good ten years out of a racing battery to get the same return.

I finally managed to find the limitation of my Ultramax... 2 x cranking for oil pressure (plugs out, crank for around a minute) means it will no longer start the car from stone cold, even after a night on the conditioner. Starts fine from luke warm. I'll probably get another one though - had lasted a couple of years until I abused it with so much cranking.

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find a Powervamp at short notice, but it's remarkably similar to the Odyssey which I've just ordered from the very helpful people at Tayna Batteries. The model code is PC680MJ (which replaces the Extreme 25, apparently). 680 cold cranking amps and 18Ah, a metal-jacketed gel battery.

Yes, I'm now Powervamp come to think of it - was Odyssey but basically the same batteries, made by Hawker I believe.

If it's the same, think it's impregnated glassfbre rather than gell.

The last one lasted over ten years and only replaced it because I was nervous of taking the care to Italy.

Hope it's all OK now!

Andy

I fitted the Powervamp PVR25 a few years ago, when I put the Zetec engine in 😬

Excellent battery, sat in the cold garage all winter and started first time when that big yellow thing made an appearance. *thumbup*

Seven speed ship them for next day delivery in the UK if ordered before midday *thumbup*

Edited by - Q102 on 11 Jun 2013 14:39:20