Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clunky noise at the rear of the car

glasgow

Hello, all....

This evening while driving the car in a slow traffic I noticed some clunky noise at the rear of the car. At first I thought it is a loose thing in the boot. However, later realised the noise is at the rear wheels/suspension areas on BOTH driver and passenger sides. It is a quick clunky noise that appears when i try to rock the car up and down and also the same noise occurs when the car is rocked front/back... ☹️

I was told a couple of years ago I need to change my drop links, bought them but never had a chance to replace them. However, my understanding the drop links shouldn't do such noise.

I will axle jack the car tomorrow, remove the wheels have a look but would appreciate any advice about what this noise could be. (interestingly the noise is on both sides!!!)

Thank you in advance

Ahmed (2003, SV Dedion suspensions)

Little rod end bearings on the Watts linkage .... they get very rattly and need replacing regularly. I have a reasonably priced source. Look at the deDion end of the radius arms that run from the front and rear of each rear wing. With wheel off, grab each arm and shake it hard. Quick and easy job to replace the rod ends.

Thank you all...

End bearings on the Watts linkage: rock solid on both sides.Noise is coming from the drop links. Looks like the ball joints of the drop links have some movements.

Not sure if the ones I bought last year are the right ones as the upper joint looks different from the one I currently have... Would appreciate if someone please could confirm if they are the right ones

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/8899894308_9482cd97ce_c.jpg and http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3682/8899888892_e970ecaf66_c.jpg

I was planning to change the drop link when i take the car to dreadnought for a service after i come back from IOM, but does this drop link now needs urgent attention? is it DIY (just undo upper and lower bolt?!?!)

I also found the ARB can easily slide right and left as if the orange rubber is not tight enough to fix it in place - is this normal....?

Remove one of the drop links and go for a drive to see if the noise persists. If it doesn't change them both, job jobbed!

I have the same issue with my ARB (overslung type) moving left to right. Rubs on the tyres slightly if I use 205/60s but seems OK with 205/55s. Powerflex make uprated bushes but they are bigger than 1/2" orange standad bushes, so you need to sleeve the bar.

Phoned Dreadnought garage and Brian said, this noise from the drop link is not a big issue, and even if the drop links snapped, the car would be ok to drive. He was happy for me to wait until i come back from IOM... What do you blatchatters think - anyone had them snapped before?