Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to completely change the oil on a dry sump setup?

the_village_idiot

Hi guys,

How do I drain all the oil from my dry sumped car? I believe it holds around 7L?

I have read some people just drain the 5L from the engine and change the oil more frequently than they would if they performed a 7L change but as my car doesn't have a dip stick it would be reassuring to know its to the right level.

I either take the scavenge pump belt off and hand turn the pump to push the oil round and out of the bell housing, or I disconnect the injectors, remove the sparks, and pump it out on the starter motor.

Quoting NoLimits: 
I may have some bargains at Beaulieu for Club members only.

Only 4 left and I won't be making them again.

I understood perhaps 59% of this :D

Are you saying you have made something which facilitates changing the oil on my dry sump system? Mark Ws method makes good sense!

[

Are you saying you have made something which facilitates changing the oil on my dry sump system? Mark Ws method makes good sense!

This is what i did

Bought spare blue plate for bottom of tank

Bought magnetic drain plug ( i think it was the same as the one that fits the gearbox from memory )

Took both to local machine shop

Handed over crisp £50 note

Said machine shop drilled largish hole in middle of plate and "welded " threaded boss on inside of plate

Result , fully recessed drain plug not susceptible to being knocked off by speed humps .

Quoting the_village_idiot: 
Hi guys,

How do I drain all the oil from my dry sumped car? I believe it holds around 7L?

I have read some people just drain the 5L from the engine and change the oil more frequently than they would if they performed a 7L change but as my car doesn't have a dip stick it would be reassuring to know its to the right level.

I didn't think any dry sump had a dip stick ?

Quoting combine: 

I'm not sure tbh? I know all the 500 ks don't- I thought I read of a 400 with a dipstick but maybe that wasn't dry sumped?

My R400K has a dip stick in the dry sump conning tower .

• Leadership Team

Quoting Mark W: 
Quoting combine: 

I'm not sure tbh? I know all the 500 ks don't- I thought I read of a 400 with a dipstick but maybe that wasn't dry sumped?

My R400K has a dip stick in the dry sump conning tower . As does my SLR *thumbup*

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
we used to change the oil at service on the rally cars with the engine running, drop the return scavenge off at the tank and place in a container, run the engine and keep the tank topped up.

simples

I imagine swapping the filter was interesting 😳

Stu.