Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The BiB, LED lights and advice to POBC

Andy Lef

When I first joined BC, there was a thread that I found (here) in Nov '09 about a fellow BC member who had made 40LED conversion boards for the std light clusters, that Johnty was very *thumbup* about

Suprised that CC or one of the other suppliers of 7 type stuff haven't taken up the challenge, as I would have thought they receive a deluge of orders, I guess the "E" marked certification is most likely the issue?

Mike

I don't object unduly to the price as while I don't mind soldering things up, it's time that I don't have at the weekend.

What I don't like is that it took Caterham 5 months to launch that "design". Ugly doesn't begin to say it.

Jez

Just trawling through SVC and its lights and this popped up. Has anyone any experience with it - I know eugene has the round light block so they might be a good option for those with a penchant for rectangular clusters

Edited by - Andy Lef on 10 May 2013 13:16:31

I understand that Caterham did get some "nice looking" lights specced up, but they came in at over £200 a set. They decided that was a bit much and went for these.

Caterham's price is £90 (£75+VAT). The parts come in at £46, plus postage (£5 for a pair of pods I think) plus the price of a couple of resistors, a couple grommets, some wiring and the connectors. Their price isn't unreasonable given that someone's got to trim the lugs off the light clusters, solder up the wires and resistors, drill the pods, fit the connectors, assemble everything and test them.

I just fancy doing the work myself and producing a bargain basement set. Though technically they wouldn't be legal under our regs, but if they're visually identical I can't see anyone complaining.

Quoting michaeljclark: 
When I first joined BC, there was a thread that I found (here) in Nov '09 about a fellow BC member who had made 40LED conversion boards for the std light clusters, that Johnty was very *thumbup* about

In practice I don't think those are as bright as the tungsten filament lamps Mike. Mick Smith has them and having followed him a lot on tours I found them disappointing in brightness.

However, LED technology has moved on a lot since then, and a high power single chip white LED 'insert' that sits in the existing light cluster (if you like upside down caravan lights 😳) would be easy enough to design. No idea how much would be involved in e-marking it though so I guess it's not worthwhile for CC to do it.