Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 clutch pedal- needs a v deep press?

the_village_idiot

Hi guys,

My 500k series s3 has a slightly funny issue. The footwell area is v small and my size 11 feet don't fit down particularly well. I squeeze into some size 9.5 kart boots whenever I drive it- but I do have one problem:

The clutch pedal seems to require a deep push to fully disengage the clutch? Is depresses 75% easily- but to engage reverse it requires me to twist my foot 30 degrees and push with the tip of my foot a further 2" before it's fully disengaged.

Is there any easy way to adjust this? When pressing on I really don't want to have to think about twisting my foot every time I change gear- its really quite distracting.

Any info would be great thanks :)

My 2003 R400 dry sump bell housing it had similar and we thought it was a stretched cable *eek* turned out to be a cracked clutch release arm ☹️

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w445/markiebabes/76603266fd545581c51496147fcb25f2_zps8bbeba58.jpg

here

Edited by - markiebabes on 26 Apr 2013 19:29:30

• Leadership Team

I had to repeatedly adjust mine .... then eventually there was no adjustment left! Straightened, repaired and strengthened and I'm not convinced the clutch actuation has ever felt as positive as it does now. This is one failure that can leave you stranded and will not be a roadside repair, so worth checking.

http://i.imgur.com/AzNJYHl.jpg?1

Stu.

You've got me worried now.

I have the same clutch pedal issue, fine when normal gear changing but requiring an extra deep push when selecting reverse.

It's a c1998 6 speed box, would this have the same clutch arm issue?

Thanks,

Fraser.

Edited by - Occulomency on 30 Apr 2013 11:30:45

• Leadership Team

The arm that fails is a bespoke Caterham part fitted to the dry sump install. The non dry sump setup uses the standard Ford arm which rarely has problems. Reverse always needs a little more clutch depression (no syncromesh) so you might benefit from adjusting it a little.

Stu.

To go back to the original post / adjust I actually think it was just a matter of adjustment as problem pushing pedal extra fraction down for reverse was that pedal was hitting transmission tunnel before sufficient travel . It had actually started to wear a groove in the aluminium. A simple adjust to raise bite point higher up pedal travel resolved the problem. There was no sign of any crack / distotion on the actuator lever.

You wouldn't be able to see any cracking/bending of the arm without splitting the engine/gearbox. The travel of the pedal being too long/low down can be an indication of a failing DS clutch arm but isn't by any means certain to indicate this as poor adjustment can be the cause.

The other thing that could be a cause is clutch release bearing in the early stages of failing.

I've suffer both problems so have experienced the symptoms.