Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T...I'm stumped...classsic Mini won't start

captain chaos

Ok....car ran fine until son went away for 2 weeks. Came home...car sat in cold but under a cover. tried to start but no joy...

so he first noticed that there was a very weak intermittant spark. So, new rotor arm and Dist cap. Still no joy. Then bought a new coil. Still no joy. I arrive home to help...checked we have very good 12.5v on one side of coil, and to eliminate earth issues i ran a lead all the way back to the battery from neg side. Still no joy,,,now no spark on any plugs. Across the coil there is an amp module which bolts to the side of the distributor. Not really knowing what it does, but as we've checked all else..bought a new one today. Still no spark. *confused* I also took a plug lead and ran the lead direct to a plug...so direct from coil to spark plug...still nothing???

Coil does get ever so slightly warm..but only just. Checked that we have correct terminals on coil... the earth strap is connected to the engine.....the car ran Ok 2 weeks ago...

What are we missing????

Many many moons ago I had similar problems with our classic mini. Changed all the ignition due to what I thought was a weak spark. Turned out the needle in the carb was loose, piston moved up, needle stayed put.

Good luck

Are all leads to coil tight ? is battery fully charged ? Are points closed up ? is there any form of cut out switch from the coil ? Check fuses ?

Just been through this on my '74 VW camper *mad* just fitted electronic ignition to bypass condenser and points worked a treat 😬 *thumbup*

Hth electrics are so frustrating *mad*

Try removing coil HT lead from distributor; turn engine by hand until points fully closed. Switch on ignition open and close points with screw driver whilst holding HT lead from coil 5+mm from block, and see what you get. Should be good fat spark? *rolleyes*

Can you take battery out of boot, or use a spare battery and use some jump leads to connect positive directly to +ve side of solenoid and negative to a clean bolt head on Block somewhere, just to rule out long cable runs, then see if it starts sparking, given that you are testing spark by earthing ground electrode to block.

Also if its Lumenition or indeed any electronic ignition be careful handling the plug leads, my Mini had a nasty habit of the spark tracking down the outside of the lead, gives you a hell of a belt, but does prove its a good spark 😬,

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 6 Apr 2013 02:27:20

I don't know enough about the wiring of your ignition to say. If you can get at the low voltage feed to the ignition start there. Otherwise anywhere convenient, and if you've got enough voltage somewhere start checking nearer and nearer to the plugs.

Bad connections can show enough voltage but it can't be maintained when you need more current.

It might help if you describe the electronic ignition as someone might know how to test that directly.

Jonathan

Is it the OE electronic distributor from the '80s? Metro Haynes manual has quite a few pages on electronic distributors but there are a multitude of types listed.

See if you can find the model code on the body of the distributor eg 65DM4.

Hi

If you have a normal coil fitted as standard ie live feed in, -ve out, try removing the wire which goes to earth via distributor and use this as a 'make & break' connection by touching its mating terminal and removing. This should induce the coil to to off load its charge. Check this as I suggested in my last post.

This should elliminate (dodgy spelling?) the coil and put the focus on the distributor.