Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DINITROL

TBKBABABTIM

• Area Representative

Quoting Nigel Mercer: 
Is there an official list of known grot traps? Not having built my seven I should do an audit.

Nigel

Grot traps are the areas between the side skin and the footwells on both sides of the car. They can fill with muck and debris and cause corrosion. Treat well with Dinotrol or Waxoyl. Some also block them off. *thumbup*

Quoting Garth: 
I used dinitrol 3125 Cavity wax in Aerosol cans for what it is worth! Bought from REJEL

Also used their high temp wax to cover bolt heads etc. has worked a treat for 3 years so far!

Good luck with the build.Garth

Thanks Garth that seemd the obvious one but wanted to check.

• Area Representative

Looking forward to my first seven and hopefully starting the build in March. Have done some reading around and Dinitrol 3125 seems a good option, apart from the grot traps is it wise coating inside the engine bay and underside etc? Any idea how many cans would be needed, I've seen on the usual market websites bundles of 4 cans or more.

I bought 2x 1ltr bottles, used a brush to do all the chassis members, all the inside skin I could get to and loosened the fuel tank moved it out the way to do the back skin also all the fuel tank and then used a garden mister to spray it in any orifice I could find. Had a full tin left over and about half of the one I opened, it's very thin almost water consistency and spreads well but does take a couple of weeks befor its dried enough not to just wipe off when you touch it. Now it's been on the road for 5 months I'm just about to give it another good spray with a garden mister to make sure it's all been got. Just don't forget to rinse the mister out when you've done its cleans easy, but maybe buy a new one before you spray your tomatoes etc, not sure dinitrol tastes so good *biggrin*

I'm also going to give the bottom skins (under seats) a good layer of underseal next week, along with inside the wings to try an reduce stones leaving the star marks on the top surface, after that I'm hoping to drive the tyres off it this year *cool*

I used Dinitrol 3125 and 4010 (here). I used the spraygun to get the 3125 into the two grot traps *arrowup* and also along the chassis/panel seams (top and bottom of the engine bay, and around the petrol tank). It all came from Rustbuster.

Edited to add: I used 2x1L of 3125 (quite a lot left over), and one each of the other cans.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 9 Feb 2013 14:47:12