Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quantum open day - How a damper works

Pendennis

All winter I have been refreshing my Caterham for the 2013 race season, I am now more than happy with the cars geometry and it's flat floor set up, but I have to be honest in admitting I am not 100% sure how these dampers work. Being a compulsive fiddler means I tend to alter ride height, rake or camber at the first sign of understeer/oversteer. But I would really like to get the most out of my dampers, to do this I need to understand how they work, what adjustment I can actually undertake myself and how it would affect the cars suspension.

My dampers are Quantum, so I've been in touch with them trying to get to grips with this. They suggest I come down and watch them demonstrate how to re-valve and see them on the dyno to illustrate the range of adjustment that can be inbuilt, what the adjusters do, what the shims do, etc.

l have decided to take them up on this, in fact they have suggested I offer this invitation to any club member who may also want to join in.

Date or times are not set, but if anyone else is interested and would like to come along and learn like me, just let me know.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Guys,

Yes, on the back of a recent thread I figured it would be a good idea to throw this open to all.

What I proposed to Ian was we open up the factory for a day to show how the shocks are assembled and give some 'hands-on' guidance in how they can be revalved. Topics I imagine covering are:

o How does a monotube shock work?

o How do I read a dyno plot?

o What is low speed damping and how does the adjuster affect it?

o What is high speed damping and how do the shims affect it?

o How does the piston affect the shape of the damping curve?

o How do I revalve my shock absorbers?

I'm thinking this would be a Sunday event. We're on a large industrial estate with plenty of parking on the weekends. I want to make it fun, so we'll look at laying on food, too.

I'm open to other suggestions. Have you got any questions I haven't listed above?

Laurence

I have never had that problem with either of the two shock manufactures I have worked with. So thank you Nitron and Ohlins for the hours of help both on the phone and at your place of work.

I had an Ohlins fail on me (loss of pressure) on a practice day at Llandow . I had a sprint the next day Sunday. Alrok (Ohlins) drove to fix the damper a 5 hour round trip. I think that is service. Alrok were spot on with service it made no difference that I was a recreational fun sprinter the service as the same as if I was a top race team.

David

Edited by - David Nelson on 3 Feb 2013 14:21:22

I think you'll find that any business would prefer to keep how its product work or is set up as close to their chest as possible. This may be particularly true if it is perceived that they have the preferred set up. It is by nature their livelihood and intellectual property.

If a set up is given away then their business could be at risk.

I do not see it as a bad thing.

It's not magic how these things work but what is a magic is how you reach a set up that works!

When ordered my Nitrons I instucted them to set them up soft for road use, when I fitted them the car was so hard it was very hard and uncomfortable.

I called them, and was told to return them to be revalved at 45 pounds each.

Postage was another 240 pounds return, And would give no help over the phone.

When I stripped them and asked for a better shim stack setting and some shims I was told, no we don't sell parts and now it would be over 100 pounds each to overhaul them.

To me there business is at risk when there setups are so poor and refuse help change it, as I will never buy Nitron again. 20 years ago the bike suspension industry was almost the same, and shocks had to be sent to the states for mods.

Now there is lots of places where we buy the kits and get all the parts and shims,

with settings that are 95% spot on for weight and application.

Time will tell who will survive, I know who my money is on.

Nitron have always most helpful. I run the original Peter Carmichael settings. The were fine for both road and sprinting. I would say better on road than sprinting. I still managed to take a few class records in the speed championship with these. I then had the rebound changed as I wanted a better sprint set up. I then felt I could get a better set up with 2 way Ohlins. My engine went bag so had to revert back to the Nitron. I have watched a few sprint car in recent years and have seen graphs. I think the best Nitrons in resent times come from Meteor motorsport, Simon Rogers. He has spent lots of time with different damper manufactures to get set up for different types of driving. I was at a test day with a driver how had one the Autosport golden helmet, he was using some black art dampers that Simon helped to develop. He said if he wanted a road damper they would have been amazing.

i am sure the will be differences between manufactures. They will all have slightly different pistons and valves. If it was easy why would the Le Mans team i worked with use Ohlins,if they felt any old damper would work why not go that way. Well you pay for knowledge and service. I guess DIY is ok for some but get it wrong and your seven could end up a mess.

David