Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Metric FIA Bar on to Imperial Chassis

SV Gary

I have an early 2004 imperial chassis and it was supplied from new with one of the first double diagonal FIA bars .

Dont know however if the bar was made to fit imperial then and has change subsequently , i assume it was imperial then because it pre dates the metric chassis .

Hi Graham,

Do the spigots line up? I thought the Metric spigot was a smaller diameter and offset to the inside, so not in the centre of the chassis socket? I also thought this had the result that a bolt could not be inserted into the metric spigot, as the hole is off centre.

I've a metric cage to replace my imperial cage, but I assumed I'd need to make a spacer with an offset bore to take the slack out of the metric spigot in imperial socket. Keen to hear otherwise as it'll make this job alot easier.

I can't give you a definite answer yet. I have only got as far as removing the FIA bar and placing the cage in place to see if it fits. The bosses are slightly smaller but seem to sit in the centre of the chassis sockets. The bolt holes in the chassis are also bigger than 10mm so I don't anticipate any problems.

I will know for certain how it fits in few days when I complete the job. Hopefully I can give you some good news.

Thanks Graham, that's the ticket and gives me encouragement to get at mine. I've a straight tubed roadsport cage fitted with a curvey metric one to replace.

I'll turn down some M10s and knock up a couple of spacers in advance.

Thanks for coming back with the outcome *thumbup* Enjoy your new style.