Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Topping up Banner battery

Rj52car

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Plates obviously need to be covered. From what I remember of mine, there was a plastic moulding down from the cap with a little flat section on the end which could have been a 'max' level marker.

This is my understanding also.

I had to top mine up last week as it has been on trickle charge for nearly 3 months and that tend to dry the battery out. Filled to just above the flat marker. I also found a little LED torch useful to get a better view inside.

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed my Banner battery was below the plates this morning also, quite probably the reason it didn't want to start yesterday!

Question on charging those battery's, I had one of the CTEK battery conditioner things running while parked in the garage, are those banner batteries motorbike sized if I recall? If so I may have possibly had it on the car setting which wouldn't help!

Topping it up with some deionised water, I'm hoping it should recover..

Cheers

Adam

Looks like the bike setting was for anything less than 14ah, 0.8A,

so guessing I should have been ok with the car setting being a 30ah battery, the car mode is 14V/3.6A. Also a winter mode of some sort for temperatures below 5deg which ups the voltage a little.

Decided to pull the battery out entirely and stick it an more ventilated area though!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone now how much the battery performance drops with temp as I think I have a cold capacity issue.

On Sunday heading out to the CC farewell bash I took the car off the CTEK conditioner, started it up (albeit sounding a bit laboured) and off we went. Temp must of been around 1-2 Deg Cent.

Stopped for petrol 3 miles later and on return to the car to start it - CLICK no start ☹️ Bump start and head off to meet the others after a 10 mile blat. This time it starts OK. After driving for about 1.5 hours through the cold and fog the car just cuts out ☹️ ☹️. When trying to start it - CLICK no start and another bump start later we got to Caterham.

After my bacon roll and a cup od tea I head back to the car fearing the worst and this time it fires up first time. The only thing I can think of is serious battery issues in the cold and it not holding a charge in the cold?

It's a banner, 2 years old and all connectins clean.

After reading this post I checked the levels - slightly low but above the plates. Looking at the top of the plates they look sligtly crinkled? I can't see any further than just the top so can't tell if they are buckled all through or not.

When cold cranking it today the voltage droppped to about 7V.

I'm guessing I have a knackered battery but before I shell out on a new one I wanted to check the wisdom on BC.

Apologies for the longish post but any advice gratefully received