Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seats removal

McBreadhead

My 7 is currently at my parents and I am visiting them shortly and will be removing seats for refurb at Oxted Trimming. I will need to bring tools with me and assume a Halfords 150 piece tool set will suffice?

Do I need to bring anything else? Eg jack to get under car?

It's a 1996 de-dion SS so assume it has S type leather seats with headrest (foam squab sitting on frame which has broken bracket with upper section)

The socket set will probably be OK - I needed a bolt splitter to get one off

Axle stands will make it much easier but I did manage to get under a lowered floor with it flat on the drive - just expect a few bits of skin left on the drive.

Seperately roughly how much is the retrimming *cool*

the rear two hex bolts holding seats to runners may not be obvious, they hide under the leather at the bottom of the seat back, thought about using a leather punch to facilitate re fitting as you have to force the leather back with the hex key as trying to locate bolt in thread, makes it very easy to cross thread,

you will want plenty of copper slip for re fitting.

Tim

7 Workshop capable of bodge? Well yes as the seat repair failed the next day, so fact!

Got the bolts out but one was almost seized so Copaslip definitely applied when re-fitting. Both frames had sheared and back rest was starting to split.

Hadn't realised a new seat was £400+ from Caterham. Took it to Oxted and they will repair which has the advantage that the leather will have the same patina as its sister. I am looking forward to not finishing each journey with a numb ar$e and twisted back.