Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Jenveys - clearing the bonnet

Midlifecrisis2001

Hi everyone and happy new year.

I am in the process of having Jenvey fuel injection fitted to my Zetec to replace the Weber 45's, however it looks like the angle of the inlet manifold is going to raise the line of the air filters and potentially foul the bonnet. Do I need to get a Caterham specific manifold? If so can soemone point in the right direction, or is there something else I should be doing?

many thanks

Clive

Sorry, probably not much use but my cams are Raceline RL200 ones.

I really wanted to keep my car looking the same by utilising my K&Ns, but came across 2 problems as I purchased Emerald's Adjustable Length Intakes. Firstly, the trumpets were too wide to fit into the K&Ns (had 40 DCOEs) and secondly the K&Ns were way too short in depth. I believe I could have made the trumpets narrower and made some sort of spacer to cover the length. My ALIs were set by Dave Walker at 140mm to achieve max torque. And this, is why I ended up with the dual socks....... and hence no fettling of the bonnet hole *thumbup*

Clive,

Re the inlet manifold, I converted from carbs to Jenvey using the Omex kit with their standard length manifold. I found that their ram pipes had too wide a bellmouth to allow the dcoe filters to fit, so I bought 40mm Dellorto style trumpets as they are bolt on and have a more parallel section. For the filter I bought a sausage style unit from RamAir. I gave them them the dimensions of the bonnet opening and they supplied a filter which fits it perfectly. I bought a blank backplate from them too and cut it to fit.

Zetec,

I think you will find that there is no benefit from changing cams so long as you stick with 40s. the max choke size from memory is 34mm and this will limit top end power to 160-165bhp. The standard cams are good for this. I had 45s with 40mm choke and jetting from webers own calibration. With RL200 cams I was supposed to have 167bhp. Changing to injection with the same cams the Daves set me up with 185bhp.

Phil

Quoting Midlifecrisis2001: 
Could I still use the K&N filters from my Webers?

I still use the K&N filters because I like the 'original' X Flow look. I lost a bit on torque but still got 199 BHP so I am happy.

Some pictures

HERE

HERE

HERE

And

HERE

Unfortunately I don't have an image with the bonnet on, but it fitted without any alterations or cutting using the RACELINE manifold and trumpets.

Guy

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 8 Jan 2013 08:59:30

Craig,

When I converted I went for Raceline's 190 spec in everything apart from keeping the twin 40s. (Long term goal at the time being TBs).

So I can confirm that with RL200 cams and twin 40s I managed 170bhp but in reality those Webers were strangling the engine. Add a different ECU and TBs and immediately a further 20 ponies appeared *smile*

Clive

Are you changing your manifold as well as adding bodies, or are you just adding throttle bodies?

If you just replace your carbs with DCOE style bodies then the exit point shouldn't change?

I know that jenvey offer an angled inlet manifold (MF03), is it this that you intend to use?

Clive,

I have the Raceline manifold and that was originally fitted with DCOE 40s. Jenvey do produce a throttle body that is a direct replacement for the DCOE. These are what I have here.

in other words, I have made no adjustment to the bonnet to fit my TBs. Just bear in mind what i said about which filter you use.

Eugene is still running twin 45 Webers...

And I get 210BHP with a nicely sorted Raceline Zetec 😬 😬 😬

I do like the 'attitude' of the Webers, and the way it makes Eugene feel similar to the same car over the years - multiple X-Flow engines, from 118BHP to 155BHP; Vegantune 175BPH...

😬 😬 😬

• 4 weeks later...