Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RESTORATION

mike xflow

I'm restoring my neglected xflow in a big way. The engine and carbs are away being "polished" to supersprint spec and I'm powder coating and rebushing anything I can get off. I'm wondering if towing eyes can be fitted to the front chassis?

Any advice or offers of bits at mate's rates would be appreciated. Advice on what NOT to do might be just as useful!

• Area Representative

Hi Mike

Here is a warm welcome from another Crossflow owner. The good news for you is that there are lots of friendly members in and around Chester.

Cars now do have front towing eyes, mine is a '96 car and certainly does (although I have bent it ☹️)

Hi Mike, welcome to ancient and venerable world of XF owners. I have 96 SS and the towing eye on mine is a crude ring located on the front RHS. Are you sure powder coating is the way to go? I have used POR 15 and it is both shiny and proven to be very chip resistant. *cool*

Welcome Mike.

I'm sure Dave Morris will be along shortly, he's a local with a love ove x-flows.

Plenty of us about around Chester. Just shout if you need help. Would be good to see you up at the ring o bells for the monthly meet too.

Hi Mike, if you can strip your front suspension get it to Kelcoat in Leek for nylon coating (tougher than powdercoating). Kelcoat came highly recommended by the Staffs/Cheshire contingent. Used them last year for my old car and it was a fantastic finish. Have just dropped off the bits from my second car today.

Planning on painting the rest of the frame with POR 15.

Good luck.

Stu

As Mav said "Dave Morris will be along shortly".

Agree witht he other's re Kelcoat for nylon coating (though remember this only possible on Iron and not Aluminium bits).

It all depends how "neglected" the car has been, how far you want to go on stripping down and re-building, and I suppose on how deep your pockets are.

You don't mention whether chassis is LA or De-Dion, or what year it was made.

Whilst stripped I would recommend hitting the chassis in a big way and attacking any bubbling or chipped or rusty areas. I'd recommend POR-15 for powdercoat repairs. Do a search on POR-15 for literally 100's of view on this stuff. The main recurring theme however is WEAR GLOVES, balaclava's etc and don't get it on exposed skin. It does come off, but not easily.

You can come and look at a pretty well stripped down chassis in Oswestry - though not for a few weeks now as I'm gonna be travelling on business.

I might have a few spare bits floating around, like spare uprights, front calipers, front suspension, standard radiators, std track roll bars, battery tray, possibly even a c/f pedal box cover (depends on your chassis) if you need them.

Blatmail me if you want to make contact - I'm not gonna get much time to go onto blatchat ☹️

Dave

Zetec, for the kit you need : a new ARB and the half wishbone.

You also need to make a hole in the side skin, then half wishbone uses the same bolts for fiation as the ARB but is monted on the inside of the chassis, the new ARB is the same as a DD of that vintage, the one with the plastic balls

Many thanks to all who are helping with their replies. My car is a live axle chassis built in 1987, long cockpit, clamshell wings, red. I'm going for kelcoating steel parts at Leak(except the springs) and am looking into POR15 (it sounds a bit scary to use). Not sure about the half wishbone kit yet. There will be an electronic dizzie but not the megajolt (budget limit). I'm unlikely to modify to take a 5speed box I've got spare. I need to build up a shopping list of bushes, stainless bolts and jubilee clips, water pipes, battery with cutout and start button-no immobilisor! (?gel battery to be mounted alongside the landrover heater). Engine and carbs being done as I write.I've got new pipes to the oil cooler and a new sports radiator, I may fill with a Halfords radiator mixture?. Hoping for a Feb./March MOT. Again, many thanks.

If the engine is out do the 5 speed thing, if yours is a four you wont regret it.

Mine was a 4 for 10 years of ownership then i changed it to a 5 & it feels like ive bought another car.

Also is the heater (claytons) a landrover heater??

I might need a new body fOr it

Thanks for help so far. Three more questions please:

1.My engine rebuider is offering to paint the block and sump Ford Blue but I'm thinking satin black. Any views?

2. What car model does the brake master cylinder & brake fluid reservoir come off? 3. Presumably the suspension top link has an inseperable "bearing" at the wheel end?