Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where do You Mount Your Tax Disc

Midas

• Leadership Team

You can tell I've run out of important jobs to do on the car....

Several years ago I moved the tax disc from the windscreen into one of those 'Oxford' motorcycle tamperproof disc holders mounted on the bottom bolt of the front bonnet spring. It's the type with about 8 tiny allen bolts that hold the disc in place.

Well I've had enough of it - it is always a PITA to remove each year. I've looked around the car for a more suitable place but nothing jumps out at me.

Wondered if there was a clever and ingenious method I'm missing.... 😬

I have one of the motorcycle ones on the lower spring bolt, but mine has threaded holes in the ali backplate, so no fiddly nuts to lose (only the screws!).

I laminate the tax disk so no need to bother with the fiddly O-ring seal either *thumbup*

Have seen a few 7's with these cylindrical holders bolted to the roll bar or spare hole hear it's base. No idea what they're like, and have no connection/experience with the ebay seller.

HTH.

• Area Representative
I use the motorbike solution. The first one I had was made from thin steel and the cover screwed onto the base but the chrome plating flaked off and rust set in. Now I have one with multiple small nuts and bolts, using a windscreen mounting point as a fixing. Yes, it's fiddly but you only need to mess around once a year.

I have a motorbike one on the lower screen mount.

Be aware if using the stick on type on the screen or other, I had a disc stolen off my Land Rover (had no roof on at the time so easy to take). PITA to sort out at the time. Police found it on another car many months later.

Hence mines bolted on *cool*

Cylindrical M/C one sharing one of the windscreen mounting bolts (had to swap out the original bolt for one a few mm longer). Neat and 'pretty' solution.

I was initially worried about visibility for OB and traffic wardens but SFSG. The only issue I have is that it is a PITA to change (ali panel off, unbolt, disassemble, replace disc, reassemble, bolt on, ali panel back on). Would be much easier if one of the end caps came off without needing access to the back of the bracket - or if it was mounted elsewhere! *rolleyes*

Quoting Roadsport06: 
Mine is a cylindrical one and on the rear exhaust mount. It is out of the way and the cylindrical one is very quick and easy to change tax disc

Any chance of a piccy?

I have a flat holder on the rear exhaust mount and wondered whether one of the cylindical ones would fit there.

Mine is the Oberon one. I did have the flat one but it fatigued from vibration. This one is made with much thicker metal. I should add that this is the standard exhaust.

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/213/large/DSCF1939.JPG

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/213/large/DSCF1935.JPG

Edited by - Roadsport06 on 31 Dec 2012 14:40:10