Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is a dry rusty flywheel normal?

c7ollie

I am not the most knowledgeable mechanic in the world but in an effort to get my starter motor singing like a normal car ie get rid of the click of death, I have wired a separate relay which means the car now starts every time but on the first turn of the engine, it turns as though the battery is virtually flat (which it's not) before firing up the engine. I'm still not confident of it starting every time.

I am now stripping down the starter motor to clean the contacts and grease it up etc but when I removed it, I noticed that the flywheel is bone dry with rust staining. The cog that engages the flywheel is black and dry.

Could someone tell me if this is normal, is the flywheel supposed to be coated in oil? or grease? Or sloshing about in anything?

What grease do you recommend for the starter and is the flywheel ok?

It's a rover K Series 1.8 with a 4-2-1 exhaust. Once done, I am going to wrap the starter in heatproof shielding and hopefully it will be sorted?

You dont want grease anywhere near your starter bendix either. Each time the clutch engages/disengages there is a certain amount of dust given off from driven plate, this will stick to and mix with any grease on the bendix gumming the whole assy up. The bendix should be scrupiously clean (washes in white spirit) and should snap back and fwd under its internal spring. Greasing it is a very common mistake which I have seen on many cars with starter problems.

Thanks Johnty, I'll follow your advice then just clean and lightly grease the solenoid parts with high temp grease. If you have any thoughts as to why the starter seems to strain/sluggish on the first turn, I'd appreciate it.

Starter Relay done and connections checked

New live battery cable (with no melted bits where it touched the exhaust) bought

Starter stripped and cleaned

Battery reads 12v on a battery tester but is 3ish years old.

Before I put it all back together is there anything else I could/should check or do?

Quoting c7ollie: 
Battery reads 12v on a battery tester but is 3ish years old.
Get a decent meter. Charge the battery. Stop charging. What's the voltage with the engine not running? What's the voltage (lowest reading) as you use it to start the car?

12.0V when fully charged and not running is low.

Jonathan

12v under those conditions is crap battery is knackered. Should be 12.5 min.Better at 12.7

Oh and don't think .5 is irrelevant it's massive in Battery terms.

At 12v its only 25% charged.

Johnty

State of Charge Specific Gravity Voltage

12V 6V

100%. 1.265 12.7 6.3

75% 1.225 12.4 6.2

50%. 1.190 12.2 6.1

25% 1.155 12.0 6.0

Discharged 1.120 11.9 6.0

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 24 Oct 2012 18:59:32

you may have done this, but don't forget to be as scrupulous about checking/cleaning up the earth path as well,

the current needs to be able to go as fast as it comes *eek* 😳 as it were 😬

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 25 Oct 2012 00:27:29

Ok so...

Starter cleaned and lubed appropriately (not sure it needed it)

New red and black battery cables

Clean terminals everywhere else

Starter relay now running off the battery with a fuse rather than scotchlocked off of the MFRU

Battery after full charge is somewhere between 12 and 13v on a basic battery tester

When starting it drops to 5v approx based on the basic battery meter

I think there has been an improvement but need to get blatting to really find out.

I'm not 100% convinced but only time will tell (starter heat shield is on order)

All cables tied away from the manifold

Is it right that the battery drops to 5v during starting?

Thank for all your help.

At the start of the post you said:

I am not the most knowledgeable mechanic in the world but in an effort to get my starter motor singing like a normal car ie get rid of the click of death, I have wired a separate relay which means the car now starts every time but on the first turn of the engine, it turns as though the battery is virtually flat (which it's not) before firing up the engine. I'm still not confident of it starting every time.

Before you added the separate relay did the engine start well or not - just want to check as its not 100% clear?

On batteries - my experience is that when a battery is failing you can do all sorts of things that seem to improve it (ie convincing yourself that the battery is ok). Ultimately the easiest thing to do is check using another battery which you know is ok and if that works properly - buy a new battery!

Andy

Somewhere between 12 and 13

Get a grip man the difference between a fully charged and a completly flat battery is in those figures we are looking for .1 of a volt here. And WTF is a basic battery tester you need a good calibrated digital meter. It totall amazes me when you ask for help and your given info that folk dont read what was written, but still faff around. Go back and read all the posts on this thread, then do some basic tests to confirm the health of you battery.

Sometimes at my age I despair of folks on these forums. *nono* *mad*

And yes I'm outspoken and a crotchety old git. But hey I'll not be around much longer so I don't GAF.

13.4v after full charge dropping to 8.7v while starting then 14.6v while running. I topped up the cells to the marker (nearly 1/4 litre in all) immediate improvement to 10v during starting and then after faffing around fitting a cigarette lighter for dashboard charging, the voltage during starting only dropped to 12v I have left it charging (maintaining) over night but I think I'm done. When I think about it I can't ever remember starting the car so many times in a row without a problem. I think my work here is done! *smokin* Thanks all *thumbup*